Steinberg Download Assistant not recognising ANY of my products

Hi guys : )

You know how the boxes next to our products in the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) are usually GREEN and I think have the word ‘re-install’ on them after they’ve been installed. Well, a few days ago something happened when I opened the SDA and my PC crashed. Since then the boxes next to ALL my products (Cubase, Wavelab, SpectraLayers, Absolute 6, etc), are GREY and have the word ‘install’ on them, just like when an update is available.

It’s as if the SDA no longer recognises ANY of my products even though everything works fine - including my Library Manager, Activation Manager, and all software both on my C-Drive and external hard drive. I’ve tried restarting my Windows 11 PC a number of times, logging in and out of the SDA, and reinstalling it. (But I didn’t uninstall it first because I’m not sure what would happen if I did that? Could make things even worse.)

I really don’t want to double up on disk space by spending days downloading everything again because my products already work as expected. But the problem is I no longer know if an update is available because EVERYTHING looks like an update is available.

I thought the issue may have something to do with my external hard drive where most of my content is stored, but I wouldn’t have thought that would explain grey boxes next to the products on my C-Drive (Cubase, etc).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. : )

Kind regards

Darren White
Wales, UK

1 Like

Is Cubase still installed and is it still running? The Download Assistant only keeps track of what IT installs, it probably got its settings or preferences wiped out somewhere. You can still install the entire lot, and not ever use the Download Assistant, it has nothing to do with Cubase actually working.

It will still show updated versions (it seems to update itself every time you open it), not sure if you still get an ‘Update Available’ notice or not though. I’ve gotten them here, and I installed everything using the downloaded installers I have archived when I got my new Mac a few months back.

Hi Monotremata, thanks for your reply. : ) Yes, I downloaded everything using the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA). As I mentioned in my opening post, ALL my products work as expected - Cubase, WaveLab, SpectraLayers, etc. It’s just that the SDA doesn’t seem to recognize ANY of them. My apologies, but I’m not really sure what you’re suggesting I try? You mentioned that the SDA preferences could have been wiped out. Do you happen to know where they’re stored so I can look for them in my backups? I really don’t want to spend days downloading everything onto my Windows 11 PC and external hard drive again just to get the boxes to turn from grey to green so that I can keep track of what needs updating, especially as all my products are working without any problems. Many thanks, Darren. : )

​I’ve tried reinstalling the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) but I didn’t uninstall it first because I was a bit worried about doing it. Do you happen to know what would happen if I completely uninstalled the SDA - which I assume would clear all preferences - in relation to activations, current downloads etc? It may be that if I try a clean install the preferences could be refreshed? It sounds a bit risky though and I have no idea what would happen if I did?

Nothing

The reality is the Download Assistant does not keep track of your installations.

For installed programs you should simply use your OS’s method ( you don’t say what platform) and for content you should use the Steinberg Library Manager.

Hi Steve, thanks for your message. : ) I think I mentioned in my OP that I run a Windows 11 PC. I’ve always used the Steinberg Download Assistant (SDA) and wasn’t sure you can use their software without it? I’ve purchased lots of Steinberg products and they’re all listed in the SDA. Please can you tell me how you know when an update is available for a product without the SDA, and once known where do you download it from? Many thanks, Darren. : )

There’s no reason to remove it.

Hi Steve, I think you may have responded to a different post. Mine can be found above.

What I mean is, there’s no reason to remove the Download Assistant. It takes care of certain behind the scenes software updating - the activation manager, mainly. (but only when you launch the SDA.)

Most of the programs are available at the SB website though, so it’s not required.

I would not remove it myself.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. : ) So if you have lots of Steinberg products, how do you know when an update is available for maybe one of them? In the Download Assistant it’s easy to spot because its corresponding box on the right turns from green to grey.

One way would be to subscribe to Announcements - Steinberg Forums

This is another case of those things that I can’t bring myself to pay attention to and really see how it works.

Do the green boxes and checkmarks signify that an application has been installed successfully, or rather that an installer has been downloaded, is currently present in the specified download location, and that it has been run at least once? (checkmark, install again option)

I believe it means it was installed. But to be honest, I don’t use it as an indication. I only refer to the Programs and Features control panel, the Activation Manager and the Library Manager.

Unfortunately, the SDA does not actually keep track of anything persistently as far as I can see.

The functions it does do is to update licensing components, and provide a robust way to download installers.

1 Like

Yes, if you see the green box with a checkmark in it, the SDA installed that app itself, the drop down on the right will say ‘Install Again’ too instead of ‘Install’. If it’s got a green box, no checkmark, the SDA just downloaded it, drop down still just says ‘Install’.

I don’t think the SDA cares about anything unless it installs/downloads it itself. I got my new Mac mini end of May, my whole SDA download folder is on my external storage drive which I just moved over to it from my old Mini… Everything was there, latest Cubase, Halion, etc… I installed the SDA fresh from Steinbergs website to make sure it was the latest, it didn’t see any of my installers. Clicking ‘open folder’ didn’t open the folder, there was no install, only option I had was to ‘Download’ everything again. Did it all manually.

I just opened it now, and everything works as it should. But, Cubase 12.0.70 came out a month after I got it and I would’ve installed it through there, which might have ‘fixed it’. Halion now works if I ‘Open Folder’ and everything seems to have an ‘Install Again’ on it.

Oddly the content files for both Halion and Groove Agent still show the ‘Download’ option, even though my entire content library is on another drive and was already there, and the Library Manager has everything registered and working just fine where it is. Not about to redownload that 30GB for Halion just to make the menu update heh.

1 Like

Hi guys, thanks for your comments. : ) Like Monotremata, I really don’t want to spend days redownloading products that have already been downloaded and installed using the SDA and work as expected just so that I can see when an update is available. (I’ve just noticed from the Announcements Section that a SpecraLayers update is available. I would have known that via the SDA before this issue started.) I think the SDA is really good so I’m disappointed that a file or something has been corrupted somewhere. I’m reluctant to uninstall it because it comes bundled with the eLicenser and Activation Manager. I’ve opened a ticket with Steinberg so all I can do is, first, cross my fingers they read it, and second, hope they suggest a way forward. In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions, I’d more more than happy to hear them. Kind regards, Darren. : )