Steinberg Download Assistant. Way to start the download only (without the installation)

Is it possible to only download, say, all Cubase 12 files (using the SDA)? Thank you.
All the buttons are labeled “install”…

:thinking:

Disable the Install Assistant. It’s an application. On Windows it’s in the Program dir, I’m guessing it’s in the Application folder on Mac.

Obviously this isn’t recommended by Steinberg

1 Like

The application file of the Steinberg install assistant is located here:
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Install Assistant/

«How I found the above location»

How I found it
I searched for “Steinberg Install Assistant” and found:

I’ve terminated the impostor (deleted the Steinberg Install Assistant application file). Now, everytime Steinberg Download Assistant starts, I will just have to reject the update (so that the update doesn’t bring the install assistant back).

«Rejecting the update»

1 Like

Yup. Same as on Windows

1 Like

+1 for the option to be able to download only.

I don’t want to have to download every time to install on multiple machines … let us download, and then use the same downloaded files as required. That’s the way it used to be. I’m OK with “Install” being the default, but why was the earlier option to only download removed? Makes no sense to me.

1 Like

If a program has fewer functions, it’s easier to improve/mantain (both for mac and windows). Maybe this is why…

This is not an argument, because the downloaded files are not automatically deleted after the instalation completes (so you can reuse them). An argument would be if you were time limited and wanted to download the files, say, today and install them tomorrow (or when you’ll have enough space on your storage device).

Just go to steinberg download page in support and download

All you get there is the SDA.

Program installers are there too

1 Like

Ah OK … I stand corrected. Hadn’t seen those before.

It has actually been improved over the past year or so, more installers are there.

That would be the “official” way of downloading app installers without the auto-install.

The Steinberg folk have said a few times that the SDA is a work in progress.

1 Like

Not all the files are listed in the download area. eg most of the Absolute 6 files can only be downloaded via download assistant

1 Like

Absolute 6 - Download files ARE deleted after install

1 Like

I notice the latest version offer an option to only download, without installing:
Nice.

@Steinberg pleeeease give us a simple way of the Download Assistant!!! Maybe just call it Steinberg Manager:

→ after Download of Absolute 6: where are the installation files? Some are there like The Grand, but it’s huge content seems to be moved directly to the folder where it is used. Is it like that?
So please make it work consistent!

BECAUSE now one might think if deleting the downloaded file you ALSO deinstall something → which is NOT the case :wink:

Split the thing: 1 option to see what is downloaded + another option to see what is installed.
The latter is now only to be seen when using the Download Assistant; the Library Manager AND look inside Cubase AND in your operating systems programs (for the standalone instruments).

I guess it is tricky to do so let’s send the #developer & programmers some :point_right: :rocket: :sunflower: a :floppy_disk: and a :tropical_drink:

Fortunately it has a “Download” option. That’s what I always do. I like to keep all Installation and content files. The standard folder is “…\Downloads\Steinberg” but you can change it in the settings. You can even select “Download All”.

If you have moved your files from there to another location, the download assistant will still assume the files are in the origin download folders. So it will just offer “Install” and “Delete files” (something like that, not sure what it is called in english version). If you want to download them again just select “Delete files”. Since the files are not there, nothing will be actually deleted, but you will be able to select “Download” again.