Steinberg, 'External FX' is - unreasonably - dysfunctional and uninspiring

+1000000 we need this asap!

+1
The way the external FXs are handled right now is so frustrating… We need at least to be able to remove exclusive mode.
But a flexible external I/O plugin would be even better.

Massive +1.

The whole Audio Connections setup needs an overhaul IMO.

What I’d really like to see is full blow ASIO Device Presets! Let me configure my whole I/O set up in a click - IO/busses, control room, EFX - anything that accesses my ASIO device - this SHOULD be made into presets;

• Multiple ASIO interfaces that need to be changed between
  • Different IO setups on the same devices - Tracking/Mixing/Overdubs/Mastering etc etc
  • No breaking workflow where different projects need specific setups - this all being Global today is a killer

I could go on and on about this!

2 Likes

Side Bar: Interesting to read that someone is using EXT EFX without any latency? My roundtrip in the DAW is 11 ms (48kHz @ 256), and my EXT EFX roundtrip to analog comps, limiter, EQs, and preamps is 18.43 ms. This is using a Mackie 1640i 16X16 Firewire interface.

I will add that recently I picked up a Motu M4 and it’s roundtrip inside the DAW is also 11 ms (48kHz @256). However… it’s latency when pinging the EXT EFX is 0 (Zero). And in fact I’m dealing with Motu for an explanation right now via a support ticket but nothing yet.

So, QUESTION: Are any of you posting here actually experiencing 0 (Zero) latency when using EXT EFX (that doesn’t exist in your DAW) or is this just an expression? If so, would you please tell me what your interface is, please, as I would like to refer this to Motu as they try to answer my concerns. Right now they are as puzzled as I am.

1 Like

+1
I have the neve 2464’s output patched into a 1073DPX insert return, but its input is connected to a separate output of an Apollo. This way I would have the option to use the 1073’s output level knob as an output fader for the comp. It would be nice if I could set up 2 external effects with different sends but with the same return in Cubase. One for the 1073 and one for the 2264.

Pleaseee make this happen!! Using a patchbay setup with cubase is a nightmare!!

1 Like

This aspect prevents Cubase from proper integration in professional studio environments where multiple sample rates are used on incoming sessions. Total headache.

Lets say i have a stereo analogien eq that Can also funktion as Dual mono. Can i use the external fx for This or do i have to choose either One stereo plug or two seperate mono plugs?

If I understand you correctly, then yes, you can use your hardware stereo EQ as two mono EQ channels. Go to Studio > Audio Connections > External FX and add each mono channel separately using the appropriate inputs from your audio interface and selecting ‘Mono’ for the Send and Return Configurations

Thank u,

I understand that, but what happens when i want to use it as a stereo eq in another project?
P

Save the Dual Mono configs as a favorites, that will be two faves, then create the stereo configuration and save it as a favorite. Then you can flip back and forth as needed, but you need to use the drop-downs to select the audio channel when you change since they keep the favorites active in the tab, and there fore you can’t have shared audio connections. Still that’s easier than setting the whole thing up over again.

I’m not sure exactly what the purpose of the favorites is other than making sure that config is conserved in the table when you close Cubase. It would be much handier if you could load favorites and it would restore the audio connections.

Actually, there is a way and I use it.

You can record from external FX return by inserting it to the input channels.
E.g. you have pairs of 1176, 1178, 9098, LA2A, and etc. (my setup), and you want to record e.g. drums, you can just insert them to the input channel pairs and record that, don’t need to disconnect A/Ds from the instances.

1 Like

Same here!
I am taking screenshots of my FX routings and saving them in a folder, only for routing them everytime again and again.
Anyway, this is not happening if the cubase stays open, I found that best way anyway is to leave cubase always open and close only the project (CMD+W) when you are not using it, like that it is not taking extra CPU resources.
+1

1 Like

This problem persists in Cubase 13, for sure if you work with outboard gear and a patchbay, don’t use Cubase at all.
Just so frustrating!!!

What exactly is the problem?

1 Like

C13 can’t share the inputs with the external efx inputs, I can’t use my external hardware without have to configure all I/Os over and over again.

You mean like you have a stereo pre-amp EQ for recording but want to use it in mixing, so you have to reconfigure every time?

Kinda, I have my external mic pre connected to my inputs and I have my external compressors, eqs, also connected to the same inputs using my patchbay.
I have 16 inputs to record and also as a return of my external efx.
I know i can insert the external efx to receive the signal into my channel and record as if I got the inputs set it up, but this set up is not the ideal for many reasons, but mostly: It’s not pratical!
I have this DAW since the SX3 and, since then, always has a deal breaker in it for me not be able to use it. I was really happy that they fixed some issues and design problems, like the group phase locked editing that wasn’t working well in the previous version. Years had passed and I have some outboard gear, Cubase 13 came out and I can’t hook up because this problem. Maybe in the version 15 they will fix it.
I’m waiting.

Why? What’s the reasons?

We are in 2023, rockets are landing by themselves and Steinberg can’t fix a silly design flaw. The way to work around is just a pain and I refuse to use it, I will stick with Logic instead, until then I will tell all my producer friends to not consider this daw in their studio for tracking and mixing if they use a patchbay sharing their inputs to track and as a return of their outboard gear.