Steinberg.help feature requests

2 Likes

I just open a link from Dorico to the online help, and it sends me to the correct version which has its own search function.

I think that the OP was googling a Dorico query and the first (or one of the first) results was to this screenshot. Dorico has nothing to do with Google though.

@maartenterhorst were you labelling things that you thought would be a good idea?

As nice an idea as this is, I can see that continually updating every existing page with links and version numbers to all future versions might be ā€˜non-trivialā€™.

A banner with ā€œThis is not the latest versionā€ might be the best that can be done. But Iā€™m sure Lillie will be along to give her thoughts on this.

Thanks for sharing your ideas with a labelled screenshot @maartenterhorst ā€“ clearly weā€™re on the same wavelength as the banner in particular has been discussed a number of times over the last few years, and as it happens, I was talking again about it with another team member earlier this week.

Itā€™s definitely something weā€™d like to do, but for one reason and another itā€™s not happened yet. Iā€™m in complete agreement that it would be very helpful!

(A little post scriptum ā€“ I know Iā€™m heavily biased, but I do always have the latest webhelp URL to hand and would recommend giving it a bookmark. By now, various topics are peppered with keywords based on how real users have phrased questions, meaning the direct search within the Dorico 4 webhelp manual should be fairly good. I wouldnā€™t for a moment dare to suggest itā€™s anything on a par with a full-time search engine, though, so the requirement for being able to hop to the latest manual when landing on an earlier version through a search is nonetheless understood.)

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer @Lillie_Harris! Nice that these features are being considered and Iā€™ll try the built-in search function more often then.

1 Like