Steinberg hub coming to Nuendo...

False dichotomy. Look it up.

You’re entitled to voice your opinion. More so than us even.

A false dichotomy is when someone proposes that there are only two possible views, ignoring others, and then makes an an argument based on that fallacy, but in this instance Fredo has simply asserted that additional uses outweigh the harm. No fallacy there. :wink:

(Back on topic) And of course, you can switch it off.

This HUB thing…
Something nobody I know has ever asked for, unlike some long overdue bug fixes .
I am with Boatman on this. Anyhow, this feature has an off-switch.

Well…, male enhancement products ads would not bother me much…
After all, who can improve “perfection”…
:wink:

Cheers, Big K

It is if the assumption is that you can either turn it all off, or have it on with the advertising. The obvious third choice is get rid of it in software (programming). Right?

While then switching off the other functionality.

But I agree with Big K: There are bigger fish to fry that haven’t been fried for years.

If this will be like in C7.5, to remove projects from the recent list you have to use the hub.
Remove from the recent projects list cannot be done from the File menu.

Are everybody having their main DAW’s online these days?

Not in my studio.
So I need to use an offline hub solution to use the new “Remove from Recent Projects list” feature. At least it is so in C7.5.

This is wasted time and energy to implement when resources could and should be used at more important tasks. I don’t get it :confused:

Are you able to do that from the File menu? I sure am not. I have to go into my defaults prefs and edit them out manually. Maybe it’s a Mac thing, though in previous “FR” threads, at least some PC users have said they have to do the same.

I would love to be able to remove files from the recent list, or at least have them update more effectively; have been asking for it for years. If the Hub will do that, I might just turn it one every once in a while.

Chewy

Much Ado About Nothing.

(© William Shakespeare - 1599)

Fredo, I was inclined to agree with you-- until it came up that you can remove files from the recents list from the hub. Now I gotta have it! :laughing:

Aw, even so, I guess I still agree.

Chewy

You are NOT able to remove files from the recent list from the File menu, only from within the hub (which indicate that this feature is added on in the last minute). Which “force” me to use the Hub for taking advantage of a feature asked for for years.

Why they didn’t included this in the File menu is beyond me. Feels like a half-ass solution (as so many other things in C7 and N6 cycle).
I don’t think pro users and studios have to have a hub to inform about updates and what not. Sorry, again :confused:

Fredo,

I must say that although I usually pretty much agree with your views, this time I am opposed rather strongly.

However you want to call it - ads or product information - I strongly believe that it is completely misplaced in a pro application’s file dialog. It’s just one step too far and I feel really embarrassed and disgusted that it happens in Steinberg’s DAWs (first?)

Isn’t it the aim of pro software’s GUI design to try to keep the user’s workflow going?
I can understand that Steinberg needs to sell in order to stay in business, but is the situation really that desperate that they need to “advertise” in places where none of the competitors does and where it interrupts the workflow and is visible to the customer?

If I would have seen this HUB thingie the first time I saw Nuendo it would have annoyed me to a point to where I would not have become a Nuendo user in the first pace.

Seriously. If someone is that aggressive to me as a salesman I close up and I’m off.

I’m not saying I will leave the platform because of this (that would be ridiculous), but if I was looking for a new DAW I would definitely NOT consider the one with the ads. I’m just telling you and more importantly Steinberg that there are pro users who feel like me out there.

Ollie

+1

Let me see if I get this:

1. SB add a new feature called The Hub.
  2. They include an “Off” option for The Hub in Preferences.
  3. The Hub embodies 1 or more unique functionalities (such as the MUST HAVE “Remove from Recent List” function in particular).
  4. Users are outraged that they cannot turn off The Hub and still use it’s features.

Does this seem to summarize this thread pretty accurately? And if so, does this seem a tad ironically funny to anyone besides myself? Not trying to be a jerk, I just think we can all occasionally benefit from seeing the humor in ourselves.

Carry on!

Getalife2, (welcome to the forum)

You do not get it, I am okay with turning the feature off for myself.
I am however strongly opposed to the direction of this move.

You should not have to turn off in app marketing / nags in pro apps.
The only thing I am saying is that I (personally) would have uninstalled a test version of Nuendo immediately if this would have been MY first contact with the programme.

It is the first time I see marketing / ads tied to functions in pro apps and I feel that this is just plain wrong and I see a potential harm to the platform.

What’s next?
Buy new drum loops nags when you close media bay without importing a loop into the session?
If this is the direction Steinberg wants to take you can count me out for sure.

I’ll just turn it off for me and all of my customers for now, no problem for me personally at the moment.
If this is some sort of test scenario to see how pro users react to nags however don’t say I did not voice my concearn.

Ollie

P.s. : Would be interested in Fredo’s reply. What do you think?

Ollie,

Thanks for your welcome and I appreciate you can tell I’m not trying to be rude.

Future speculation is fine, but it is still just speculation. Many things could happen, only some will.

Current fact is that it takes 15 seconds to make the SB Hub disappear forever, but then users are upset because they want something it can do. So they are upset SB didn’t make the decision to do it differently that they would have made themselves. But it’s Steinberg’s app and they get to decide.

I think Nuendo is amazing. Not perfect (neither are we), but great. It is impossible to please everyone. My Nuendo system is extremely stable *** on my system, for how I use it***. Others may have troubles based on their systems and how they work, and I wish them well and will help as I can, but at some point I think the threshold for what is considered a problem has become a little crazy. Just my opinion.

Another example. I have seen complaints about the small Horizontal Scroll object at the bottom of the new Mixer. I agree, it is small. But I will never even use it due to the Ableton style horizontal view graphic at the top that is 10X faster in my opinion. So I look at the new Mixer and see quicker horizontal navigation while another user looks at it and is bothered that the old paradigm has been changed. It’s all in the perspective.

Steinberg cannot please everyone. And I would do some things differently, myself. But Nuendo is the most capable tool I know of to do my work and I think moving towards a more balanced amount of “This Makes Me Happy” vs “This Bums Me Out” posts would make this DAW world a little brighter.

I don’t see the irony at all. The issue is that people don’t see advertising as a “feature”. If there was an option to turn off advertising but keep all the rest I’m sure many would be fine with it.

It takes two to tango.

All I am saying is:
Why didn’t they include the “Remove From Recent List” in the File menu (within the project page)???

Just so that we who want to use that feature, shall be forced to use the Hub (sarcastic :wink:)?

This is a feature we have been asking for, for about 10 years (or even more). And when it finally arrives it is through a half baked solution.
Why don’t they do it properly when they finally decide to implement it?

IMO the Hub is an unnecesarry add-on making the app look “bloated”. Nothing cool at all.
Besides that, it is even stupider when many studio computers (main DAW’s), are not connected to the internet. Like my main studio DAW.

But what do I know, maybe they have taken the hints from the Cubase forum and finally implemented it in Nuendo.
But then again, why don’t they do it in Cubase (maybe next update)?

There you go! Sometimes I dip into the most mundane handbag fights that go on here, purely for the entertainment value, and then suddenly a gem of information pops up … thank you iBM! I did not know this.

This is something that is more important than it may first appear, and yes, this is totally off-topic, but to be able to delete something from the “recent” list (or LRU as it’s sometime known) is actually crucial in some scenarios; think, for example of the situation in a commercial studio where the clients may be in direct competition and you are bound by legal non-disclosure.

So, I’ve found a reason to use the Steinberg Hub … no more thrashing of prefs before a session.

Hub-a-Hubba :mrgreen:

Then would you perhaps care to explain the logic for having the “Remove From Recent List” command as part of this “Steinberg Hub” instead of having it on the “File” menu where, as iBM has correctly pointed out above, it logically belongs and where it is located in other apps? So that you can see the “humor” in yourself.

I do see the humor in myself. I smiled when I read your post.

Seems to me that the Hub is SB’s attempt to consolidate enhanced functionality for project file management. Potentially saves a click or two in some cases, I would think. In that regard, I think it works pretty well. The issue is that some users seem to be offended by text displayed on the left half of the Hub dialog to the degree that they are unwilling to use it.

I suppose people realize that you can disable the Hub from ever appearing on its own but still open it from within your project. And if the point of using the “Remove From Recent List” is to deal with file management when not in front of clients, I guess I fail to see what’s such a deal breaker here.

So the way I see it, even only accessed when working by yourself, and only opening when you command it to, the Hub’s display of available updates, etc is so personally offensive to some that they cannot deal with it. One extra click, by my count. Because SB did not do it the way “User X” would have, it’s wrong and unusable.

Personally, this “issue” would be placed far down the list of things I consider a problem. And since this is a forum, I think it’s OK to think that, right?

Still smiling.