Steinberg Licensing & USB eLicenser

correct.

That’s not correct. There’s no call to the server when using the dongle.

“In both cases, the software will then run for a period of 365 days without requiring an internet connection at any time.”

Why do we have to reconnect every 365 days? This can cause problems if, for example, on the 366th day we’re in the middle of a project, Cubase won’t open, and we can’t get online to re-activate.

Why impose a finite activation period at all? SB never did this before. This is a huge step backwards and a big inconvenience!

It’s bad enough that all of us Windows users have to contend with MS telemetry, why add to our grief?

Please reconsider eliminating this ‘feature’. Thank you.

4 Likes

Transferring a licence from one to another If one dongle breaks ?

These are the operative words. We have not made any kind of decision about when this might happen, nor about what kinds of contingencies we might put in place by the time we eventually do switch them off. Yes, the eLicenser server’s days are numbered, but there is no danger that we will be switching them off any time soon.

No, because the legacy license on the dongle won’t need updating… The server is only necessary if you want to update the license on the dongle.

P

Okay, yes-- for a license you didn’t buy, and which is in addition to those you did purchase, for which the number of simultaneously running instances allowed has been doubled, meaning a total 3 simultaneous instances as long as the dongle functions.

And even then, the server is not going away soon.

Steve - you say ‘you didn’t buy’ - but you did buy it - and you might not have upgraded it so it’s not a ‘free licence’ - it’s a legitimate licence that you might want to use for the next 15 years…people do !

Of course - I understand that BUT how long is ‘any time soon’

1 week
1 month
1 year

Some people are still using SX licences that must be 15 years old ?

I have moved the discussion to a separate thread. I hope you don’t mind. But there seem to be a lot of questions regarding USB eLicenser in the new system.

1 Like

Abusing your power yet again Steve , we always rub shoulders , you got my gist , only one licence will only be able to run , the elicencer will deactivate the pervious dongle just as it does now so no sarcastic 3 licences for the price of 1 .
Im out of here , found out what i needed . Abuse of power going on !

That is completely unwarranted. I used no power, and posted an opinion just as any regular user can.

Ok Steve , did you delete my reply ?
I found your ask a little condescending , you know the Elicencer , you know one dongle gets deactivated when swapping licences from one dongle to another so why trey to make out im asking for more ? Im only trying to make sure that there is a contingency in place just in case a dongle does break , as i said above if it does break soon after the servers close then C11 users could potentially have a short life . I’m sure Steinberg wouldn’t let this happen but I for one want it in black and white .
If you never deleted my previous post then i apologise but it’s disappeared

Of course not.

see this post Steinberg Licensing & USB eLicenser - #4 by Matthias_Quellmann

One clarification would be nice regarding upgrades.

Say you have “Cubase 11 Artist” license and upgrade to “Cubase 12 Pro”, is the licence in the USB licenser upgraded too, so you can also use Cubase 11 Pro with the dongle ?

No, but you will still be able to use Cubase Artist 11 with the USB eLicenser as before.

SB have been very clear on this.

when the elicenser server shuts down then the dongle is ‘set in stone’ there is NO support - if it breaks or disappears then ‘tough’ - zero support.

it’s worse than that though - at this point it’s possible/probable that the licences left on the dongle won’t actually be eligible for any upgrades. As far as SB is concerned ‘they don’t exist’ - they are set adrift…

They continue to work as long as the hardware keeps working but if/when that breaks…adios.

Our statements today have been about the introduction of the new licensing system.

We haven’t set a date for the eLicenser servers to be switched off because of these exact questions you raise. There are various options to provide migration paths for users of older versions of our software.

Which paths we choose will depend on various factors like how quickly customers transition to the new Steinberg Licensing system and the costs and benefits of the various technological solutions.

This is the start of a lengthy transition period where we will be listening carefully to our users and trying to be as transparent as possible about the upcoming changes, offering both commercial and technological paths to bring all of our user with us on the journey to a more sustainable and future-proof licensing system.

3 Likes

Then until the full path has been detailed and tested i feel the need not to invest in Steinberg until the system is proven to work and not a 30 days subscription renewal but paid in advance once a year .
I have a feeling this is the true face of Yamaha taking over .

The e-licenser support to the owners of the last licenses of Cubase (10, 10.5 and 11) should be minimum for 5 years (until 2026).

It means that if the elicenser gets broken before 2027, user can replace it.