Steinberg mi2 drivers for Mac OSX 10.13 High Sierra

Hi there to you all,

I’m new to this forum and I need some advice.

My son is a professional musician and one of his friends gave him a Steinberg MI2. He then gave it to me because he already has another media interface.

Here is my problem…

I have a MacBook Pro late 2013 which is running on the lates OS High Sierra 10.13.6. I’ve gone onto The Steinberg website to look for drivers and found their “not so latest” driver for this MI2.

Because I’m new at this kind of thing, I ran through the installation, but it hasn’t worked at all. My Mac recognises the MI2 but cannot configure the sound input section in system preferences. When I open GarageBand and run through some settings for a new recording it will see that the MI2 is there, but the input section is greyed out.

I suspect that these “latest drivers” don’t work on my intel based Mac and that Steinberg/Yamaha are not coming out with any new ones any time soon.

Is there some kind of workaround that I can implement or a generic driver that will work for me?

I am sure that there might be some of you out there who have got this to work. Or am I wrong to think that this has the potential or working on my Mac.

Thanks so much for any help, it’s really much appreciated.

kind regards…
Rory