Steinberg out of business??

Or can waiting 16 days+ for a simple download link be explained otherwise?

I work on C8.5 and need it for production. I got a free upgrade to 9.0- thank you very much! But I need to reinstall C8.5 to continue working, which is not possible for 16 days… that’s just absurd!

Cubase 8.5 is still there!

Cubase 9 installs into its own folder, as do all full and .5 versions, but in the process it will have associated CPR files with the new version and that’s what will open when you double-click your projects.

You could do what I do - keep shortcuts to your old versions on your desktop and drag your project to the appropriate one.

Unless you uninstalled Cubase 8.5 from your computer then it will still be there to use, both programs can be run so if you did not uninstall, the icon will still be on your desktop. If on the other hand you uninstalled 8.5 or have done a clean windows installation then you will need to re install 8.5, I expect when you bought 8.5 you will have the disk (boxed version) or you will have downloaded the 8.5 install files, you know now you should have kept those safe for future use, right ?

Thank you all for trying to help out!! I did however reinstall my whole rig, so 8.5 is gone. I bought it as a download version, so box no have :frowning:

Just wanted to hear about people’s experience with Steinberg support, as I find it quite frustrating to be waiting for a simple downloading for almost 3 weeks now…

@djw: you might call it that, for me it’s just a way of saying that this valued customer is not pleased… At all… :blush:

Are you just waiting passively for an answer? Why don’t you call them on the phone?

Isn’t backing up ones data and expensive software installers just basic good computing practice?

Such a long wait should never occur. No matter what it is. :unamused:

@Steve: Isn’t waiting a passive thing?! I could of course call them, but the link will have to be send via the ticketing system anyway… So esentially I would be shoving my way to the front of the quue (maybe it’s naive to think there is one?), and I usually try not to do that

I DO back up my data, learned the hard way :wink:

However: In todays business models of “App-stores”, I was not aware that it also falls on me to back up “their” data…

When one needs an “older” installer again, there usually happened several updates in the meantime, so I usually go for the most recent full install. To me that is best computing practice… the incremental way usually is both more tedious and introduces more chances of error

Either way response time measured in weeks or months is just rotten imho, even if the cause for contacting them would be 100% user error…

I think your experience indicates that if there is a queue it’s not first come first served.

I DO back up my data, learned the hard way > :wink:

However: In todays business models of “App-stores”, I was not aware that it also falls on me to back up “their” data…

The issue is in accessing their backup… and whose business model is app stores?

When one needs an “older” installer again, there usually happened several updates in the meantime, so I usually go for the most recent full install. To me that is best computing practice… the incremental way usually is both more tedious and introduces more chances of error

.0 and .5 installers are not incremental chez Steinberg.

Either way response time measured in weeks or months is just rotten imho, even if the cause for contacting them would be 100% user error…

On that you are most precisely correct.

@Steve: thanx for your PM! It seems I cannot send PMs myself- they stay in the outbox folder. FAQ says to contact admin. How to do that with PMs not sending for me?!? I’m sure thats a total forum-noob-problem… my phones not working… ok here is a number you can call to help with that :wink:

@kanzler

The PMs stay in your outbox until the receiver reads it…:wink:

Also- you might have more success if you change the title to something like: “Need cubase 8.5 download please…”

Thank you everone! I’m good now. PMing one of the mods on the forum did the trick for me.