Steinberg Updater -> how do I know what content is already installed?

Hi there!

See photo → how do I know which content is already installed? because here it says “install”, but i guess the content is already on my pc somewhere?

thanks

Hi,

Unfortunately, you don’t see it here. But you can see it in the Steinberg Library Manager.

Btw, if you want to install all, what is part of Cubase 11 license, open just the Cubase folder, Cubase 11. You need a dedicated license to be able to use the content shown here in this page.

ok yeah
but why not ONE software for all?:wink:

1 Like

The fact that you cant see what’s already installed in the steinberg download assistant is criminal.

Finding out if every piece of software is up to date to the latest version is really way harder than it should be. I dont think it actually tells you the version youre on for Halion - Groove Agent etc unless you actually load up Cubase.

3 Likes

Criminal?

The download assistant is the worst thing ever made from Steinberg. We live in 2021 now and you are talking about workflow!!. This download assistant is nothing about a nice workflow. Whoever coded this trash program should get fired at once. Fix this so we can see what versions we have installed on our computers , what is included/installed in our version and the crap program can compare against the server for latest version.

And criminal is one of 1000 words you could use to say that the download assistant sucks.

7 Likes

As @Martin.Jirsak said, installed Content is managed by the Steinberg Library Manager, which displays the version, and file path for each product on your system, and provides a way to move or remove the content you own.

i just found out there is a library manager…never heard of it before…
not a good sign thoug :confused:
and yeah, the donwload assistant is very oldschool
i like the one from Native, WAVES, izotope the most, very easy…

2 Likes

Indeed… There are actually two problems :

1. Taking the Cubase 11 Pro category in the Download Assistant, the versions of the bundled instruments already installed are not displayed. It’s not a huge problem, as we can see it in parallel with Cubase VST Plug-in Manager (in the Plug-in information panel), and compare the versions. This way, I made a recent update of Groove Agent SE from 5.0.30 to 5.0.50. Same process for Halion Sonic SE (3.4.20 → 3.4.30) and Retrologue (2.2.30 → 2.2.50).

2. Much more problematic are the items labelled as ‘Content’ and sorry, Martin, but the Library Manager is not of much help. Still taking GA SE example, I see a ‘Recommended’ related content which weights something like 6 Gb : probably something like one hour and a half of download, if not more. The question is : do I really need it and what does an eventual new version bring ?
    Trying to answer this, I went to the Library Manager : no more than 8 different libraries related to GA SE are installed. Clicking on the Details button for each doesn’t answer my concern : in which way the ‘Recommended’ content of the DA is related to these and, more basically, in which way can I make a relation between the versions displayed here and the GA SE one ?
    In example, The Groove Agent factory Content is version 3, installed 23rd november 2019. Should I update it with the ‘Recommended’ content or not ? A mystery… :thinking:

There is a big place for improvements, obviously. Actually, I think that fixing the Steinberg DA/LM mess is much more urgent than the copy protection scheme. Granted, I see all this with a daily user POV…

4 Likes

Yeah! :grin:

1 Like

I 100% agree. It’s such a simple thing and Steinberg seems lazy not to fix it.
Also, it’s just plain confusing.

I am amazed that we’re living in 2022 and Cubase still uses that same old clunky download assistant.
We should be able to know if there’s an update that we missed without searching the internet for it.

I love CubasePro. It really is a great DAW. That said, the support is absolutely subpar.

1 Like

Right!? I had no clue there was a library manager.
Let me ask the bigger question… why is there a library manager?
Is the download assistant not already clunky and confusing enough?
Yeah, let’s add another app, just ‘cause.

I’m really annoyed that Steinberg would prefer their users to tug around outdated legacy trash - just to have a complete picture of their product.

Please, this is quite rude. You can find out everything you need with a minimum of research, between 15 seconds and 30 seconds total, to learn all.

Example web search: steinberg library manager download assistant - Google Search

3 Likes

Frankly, the Steinberg Download Assistant is not useful, especially since it is only for downloading

Why is there no unified program to manage my devices, programs , updates and Libraries and why can’t I delete the Licenese from the dead computer except by sending an email to tech support .?

I see that this is a deficit and we are in 2022. There are three programs that take space and time, and it is possible to make them in one advanced program like the rest of the competitors: Waves, Native Instruments, and Izotop.

Please moderators not to defend to company in every thing and attack members, as these opinions contribute to the company’s success and this very needed

1 Like

Agreed. This is really low quality. The Library Manager displays what is installed, but not if you have a license for it. It really is a mess. Steinberg need to benchmark the competition and have one app to manage: licenses, activations, downloads, updates, installations (incl moving), trials.

And just now we got a new “Activation Manager” that sometimes is referred to as “Steinberg Licensing”. Please just ONE app, with just ONE name. OK? (Hint Native Access seems OK to me…)

2 Likes

Steinberg already acknowledged that the current situation with three apps is not ideal.

2 Likes

The library manager shows a list of all products. Whether you paid for element or pro - (I paid for pro, pay for upgrades too)
The list of content is the same.
If you are wondering what downloads you’ve paid for there’s not a clear way of seeing this in the library manager.

It should clearly say what I own and do not own. It shouldn’t let me download content I do not own without warning me.
Because of this problem (it’s definitely a problem) I downloaded content I don’t have access to.
Also, when I want to see if I have the latest version, it’s not clear. So it’s possible people download or re-download things they don’t need to download.

Cubase should also search for broken content. I love how NI does this.
It shows me what I own and it also tells me if there are broken VST’s
It allows me to only fix what I need fixed.

If I’m having an issue with Cubase - there’s nothing that tells me what the issue is… not that I understand anyway.
I’m not a technical type. I’m a musical type. So if I’m having projects crash or I’m getting Noted saying this process or this file is broken… I don’t know
How to fix it.
So I end up deleting and reinstalling a massive program because it doesn’t have very good guardrails.

This is unfortunate. The only way a company can do better is to take constructive criticism from its users.
Not sure why Steve wants to take things so personal.
I can assure you, I’m not trolling the forums looking for new ways to take offense.
You shouldn’t either.

Sam

2 Likes

For me the Steinberg Download Assistant doesn’t show what’s installed either, however I remember seeing some screenshots on this forum very recently that actually show what’s installed in the SDA.
Were these screenshots from C11 or C12, I don’t know, as I kinda skipped C11, but there’s one thing for sure, I totally remember the SDA showing what content is installed in 10.5 and earlier.
So there’s definitely something going on with C12, as the components installation state isn’t linked properly with the SDA.

I recently moved from a Black Mac Pro with content installed on multiple external SSD drives via a blackmagic dock to a Mac Studio.

It’s this sort of scenario where the current system just creates a mess. I’ve done my best to reconnect everything but really there’s no way of knowing what I’ve missed unless I load up the steinberg library manager on the Mac Pro and compare with the Mac Studio library manager.

The fact that the full version of Groove Agent and Halion don’t even run on the Mac Studio natively just adds to the confusion.