Steinberg's dongle alternative coming

+1. And it’s not just that, but remembering to take your dongle to the gig in the first place, too. (since it’s usually stuck in a hub or behind the computer)

Dongle apologists here obviously don’t have much experience with newer copy protection schemes. So FYI, reinstalling authorization scheme software in the 21st century works like this:

1. Log into website and remove instance of previous computer configuration from the list.
  2. Add newly purchased computer/hard drive to list.

That takes about 2 minutes, tops!

Remember, when you say, “I have never had a problem with such and such copy protection scheme…”, you fail to address what problems that particular scheme presents for Steinberg. It may work great for the user but be terrible for the protection of the product. Some products may have weak copy protection schemes and can get away with it, perhaps, because the demand for their product is low to begin with.
J.L.

The only option I see for purchasing Cubase 7 Full Version is the “boxed product”…which contains the dongle. Is there a way to upgrade from trial without buying the boxed product?

It is unfortunate, but understood. Your honest response is most appreciated!

as full cubase licence holders i understand we are able to use every version of cubase (elements ai etc) so can steinberg please issue a full licence holder a free soft licence for the downscaled version. we would then have a mobile recording solution with out the need of taking the dongle out of the studio.

I think a lot of customers would be happy with this.

I’ve thought of this also. Great idea.

I understand your point. That said, I am talking about a variety of developers, big and small, who have implemented modern authorization schemes.

I guess Steinberg has to ask; at which point does the risk of alienation potential customers outweigh that of piracy?

this.

Very well said…
It is a balance of supply and demand. Or, in this case demand and demand…
If the anti-theft measures become too cumbersome, demand may drop because users don’t want to bother.
Not enough anti-theft measures and demand drops because potential buyers are getting the product elsewhere, illegally.

No. I’m saying I refuse to depend on a cheap plastic USB dongle as I lug my laptop back and forth 6 days a week to gigs and teaching. Since I own Sonar and it doesn’t require a dongle I use it for those jobs and use Cubase for creative work so I don’t have that worry but I’d rather use Cubase. If I break or lose any other peripheral I just buy another one. If I break or lose a dongle I’m totally down until Steinberg gets me back up. That’s unacceptable to me.

request “Dongle free” ?

alternatively you can use Steinberg´s Cubase Elements 7

• no Dongle required! (soft eLicenser!)
  • the same MixConsole (!)
  • many features from the largest version (e.g. Chord Track, PitchCorrect, AmpRack etc.)
  • exchange/im-export projects between all cubase version possible.

I think, this is a very nice solution for on the way / Notebook.

\

BTW: I have no problems with the dongle - easy to use, very stable, and since many years: no cracks available!
(thanks Steinberg!)

:sunglasses:

So you can open Cubase 7 files in Elements 7?

YES ( this has been asked so many times )

All that happens is, the 2nd and 3rd mix console windows are unavailable.

Yes, but there are some gotchas. If Elements doesn’t support a certain feature, like page view of Score Editor for instance, you would lose the content from that feature. (if you edit a file in Elements that had Score layouts from C7, when you save it the Score layouts will be gone.)

I haven’t tried it with other features, but that should inform your expectations.

I don’t know if that’s the case, my experience is specific “elements” (pardon the pun) don’t show but are not removed so long as you are using the latest version(s).

For me a “lease license temporarily to other dongle for x hours” would be enough.

I mean, the license must return automatically, so loss of the “mobile” dongle would be a few EUR and nothing else. Thats what I wish for.

Everything else doesn’t matter to me… the dongle is in some USB slot on the back of my watercooled, high end, self built PC, I even forgot, what it looks like.

But a temporary license transfer… that would be something.

What watercooling system do you best recommend?

Dongles are awful things IMO. I personally will not use Cubase abroad until they are gone or a travel/mobile alternative is provided.
Who’s ever lost their wallet? I’d say that’s a pretty valuable thing that we all “take care of.” Taking care is just not enough sometimes. Live venues, drunk people and dark rooms are all good reasons for a dongle to get lost, broken or stolen. I’ve already had to superglue mine back together once. There’s also the issue of a valuable USB port being taken up on a USB poor laptop, (any MacBook Pro ever made).
I’m a Reason user too, Propellerhead provide 3 options for authorisation.

1. Dongle
  2. Internet Auth
  3. Option to create, record and save a new project, but you’re unable to open previously saved ones until you auth your software using option 1 or 2.
    Seems reasonable to me, so despite my preference for Cubase, it’s Reason on the road for now.

ROTFLMAO!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
{‘-’}

Brita?