Stem export with Master effects

Hi There

Dont know if this has been up yet, but here it go…

It would be great to have a feature that would make the STEM-EXPORT-PART-WITH-MASTER-EFFECTS easy.
Been working a long time also in Ableton, and they have made this function REALLY workable when you need a quick turnaround, with all the processing on all your stems, though it takes a hell of a time exporting it (still less time, than manually doing it).

The cool feature in ableton for this part it is a one button click in the export window, which makes it quick and easy, it would be easy integrated in the already AWESOME export window in cubase… maybe even just with a checkbox, to either include or exclude master processing while exporting multiple stems (this should also include surround aswell, and not only stereo exports).

For us composers it would mean the world to have this function, since the branch is moving towards doing your own mixing, more and more… As a mixing engineer, it would be easy to deliver stems for liveshows with processing on the individual stems from the master output, so it keeps the sound of the mixed record.

Crossing fingers that this will reach the office of Steinberg, since now the workaround is to import in Ableton and bounce with the effects as it is now.

All the best
Simon
www.gainstudio.dk

For us composers it would mean the world to have this function, since the branch is moving towards doing your own mixing, more and more… As a mixing engineer, it would be easy to deliver stems for liveshows with processing on the individual stems from the master output, so it keeps the sound of the mixed record.

and this is the problem, not all live sound mixers want the full processed signal chain
this kills live mixes en mass

less is more

ah I forget to mention…
your master plug-in chain will behave different with only some of the mixed signals then with all

so it is good practice to have less processing on the master anyway

if you using groups, you can export the groups as stems, with processing
just select them in the export window

Could this been done with Event Rendering?

Either way, from I can tell, I think you will be happy with what is offered in C11.

Do you know something we don’t know…? :open_mouth:

This is not entirely true, I have used this technique for years, especially when I wanted to generate stems for others to play with in their mixes, and I can say that the result of the sound is identical to what you hear when playing the project or if you make a full stereo mix with effects chain in the master, and of course, if someone does not know how to use a compressor in a subtle way, the result may be a disaster, but there are methods and techniques to avoid this before exporting stems with effects in the master…

Some DAWs are able to export stems including the Master effects, surprisingly this is the case of FL Studio.

I don’t know if Cubase is currently able to do it (I just made a post asking), but if not, it would be a pity, because the fact of having to resort to very long and tedious sessions doing several renders with this purpose in a PRO software like Cubase… is a lot of time consumed…

So I vote +1 for this feature… and if someone is familiar with mastered stems or just because you give some subtle eq touches with plugins or hardware, should vote +1 as well…

I should note that in Cubase 11 you can indeed export stems with master effects applies to them. This must require a very complex algorithm, but Steinberg pulled it off. Pretty amazing

1 Like

I am currently on 10.5 - does 11 export with the master effects as if the whole mix was run through the fx?