Stem length illustrations in engraving options are wrong

Engraving options>Notes> Stems. I think the ranges indicated by arrows in illustrations ④ and ⑤ are wrong.

And picture below are correct illustrations , I think. (Note that these include the thickness of one beam.)

The current Dorico’s illustrations don’t indicate the actual stem length’s values correctly(In this case,④ 3 spaces, and ⑤ 2 1/2 spaces).

wrong stem length illustration.dorico (366.0 KB)

Hi.
I don’t think the pictures you see in the different options windows are dynamic. They are static images, so they’re not going to adapt accordingly to the values you enter. The arrows are just there to show what is going to be modified by a specific setting. Not sure that’s the problem you’re pointing, though…

Thanks for the feedback. The point of the illustrations is to demonstrate that it is the distance between the mid-point of the notehead (i.e. where the stem attaches to the notehead) and the inside edge of the innermost beam.

Thanks for replies @MarcLarcher and @dspreadbury. And I’m sorry for my poor explanation. It seems that what I mean is not well communicated to you.

Please open the project file I attached and try to measure the distance between the midpoint of the notehead and the outside edge of the innermost beam with a ruler. Wouldn’t they be 3 spaces and 2 1/2 spaces ? They should be.

wrong stem length illustration.dorico (366.2 KB)

These measured space values are consistent with the values of ④ and ⑤ in the Engraving Options. If so, wouldn’t the illustrations in the engraving options for ④ and ⑤ be wrong? Because they are demonstrating the distance between the mid-point of the notehead and the inside edge of the innermost beam, as Daniel says.

Thanks for the explanation, NOW I get your point!

2 Likes