Stereo Output Metering When Analog Summing?

When utilizing analog summing, I’m of course monitoring the mix via the stereo input of the summed audio. Since Cubase’s output metering is reflecting the output of the projects tracks, and I’m now monitoring via the input
**** back into Cubase, I no longer have the larger metering on the stereo out bus.

Is there any way in Cubase 10 to somehow have the input metering of the summed audio reflected on the stereo out bus?

Thanks,
Marc

Since you are summing analoge anyway - Route it to the Stereo out obviously.

It is routed to the stereo outs, that’s how I can hear the audio. The problem is that I’m “hearing” the input of the print channel, exactly as if recording a vocal, etc., therefore there is no master out metering. I tried right clicking the meter and changing to input metering,…it made no difference. Perplexed.

If you donˋt have level metering of that track on the big control room meter, then the track is not routed to the main out, or level id not up.

[/quote]
If you donˋt have level metering of that track on the big control room meter, then the track is not routed to the main out, or level id not up.
[/quote]

It is routed to the main outs or I would not hear audio. Again, since the summed audio L & R is an input, and hasn’t actually been recorded, or “printed” yet, I have to engage the monitor button on the channel to hear what’s coming back into Cubase. The big control room meter displays the stereo output of all the recorded tracks, it does not display the input of tracks.

I need to get cubase to mirror the small input channel meter on the control room meter. I guess it’s not possible. Not sure what you mean by “level ID not up”. It displays fine whenever I playback anything previously recorded and routed to the stereo outs and NOT to the summing box.

Can you create an external effect and insert it on to your master? - with the inputs as the analogue summing?

Upload a screenshot of your mixer for this project with the routing section visible.

Why, when you are summing analog, do you need the recorded tracks to go to the Cubase stereo out? We seem to have a diffrent opinion on what analoge summing is…? The stereo out also shows the input thats coming back into Cubase. Of course you have to activate the input monitoring for that.

Sorry typo should be „level is not up“

Wait what ?
Why are you sending any signal to the Master Out.
Lets say Master Out is 1+2 on your audio interface, you connect output 3 → 26 to your “24 channel mixer” (for arguments sake)
You sum it in your mixer and send a Stereo signal back to Cubase on input 1+2 and monitor that, and the Mater Out works as intended.

In other words, we need a little more information how and what is hooked up how.

Not in the control room currently, so can’t send screenshot. The set up is exactly as taken from a YouTube tutorial that Fab DuPont did for cubase analog summing. I’ll take some time when not at my day job to type up the set up chain.

It works perfectly, I just thought it would be very convenient if I could view the input meters on the control room meters. And I do indeed have to engage the “input monitoring” button on the sum channel to be able to hear the audio. I went to “global Metering settings” and selected “input”, but that has no effect on the control room meters.

[/quote]
Why, when you are summing analog, do you need the recorded tracks to go to the Cubase stereo out? We seem to have a diffrent opinion on what analoge summing is…? The stereo out also shows the input thats coming back into Cubase. Of course you have to activate the input monitoring
[/quote]

I just would like to see a larger meter (control room), mainly for reference track matching, but also to keep an eye on peak levels. I still cannot figure out how, or IF the control room meters can show input levels.

The control room meter shows the level of the default output bus. So if you route a stereo track to the default ouput with fader at unity gain and no plugins in the signal chain, the control room meter will mirror the level of your input track.
If you have several signals going to the deault ouput, you will meter those summed level of those signals.

[/quote]
The control room meter shows the level of the default output bus. So if you route a stereo track to the default ouput with fader at unity gain and no plugins in the signal chain, the control room meter will mirror the level of your input track.
If you have several signals going to the deault ouput, you will meter those summed level of those signals.
[/quote]

If by “default output bus” you mean outputs 1&2, I use a Benchmark DAC-1 instead of my interfaces 1&2 out. My outputs 1&2 are being utilized in the summing chain. Sorry, I still can’t see how the main outs meter in the control room can mirrow the input. Whenever I engage the “input monitoring button” on the summing channel, I’m then hearing what’s coming into Cubase, and the output control room meters are reflecting only tracks playing back,…e.g., output signal, not input signal. I just can’t see how to get the main meters to “mirrow” an input channel.

By „default output bus I mean the default output bus as per definition in Cubase. Which hardware output that is for you depends on your setup.

Ok last try: routing the (stereo) track with the input signal to the stereo out with unity gain and no plugin in between will mirror the input audio track signal on the control room meters. If there is any other signal going to the default output buas, then of course this doesn ´t work.

Lol… thanks for trying to help me. I wonder if the fact that I’m not using the default output bus is causing the control room meters to not reflect that input channel?

So just to clarify,… you’re saying that if you, for example, are recording a vocal,… you bring the signal into a channel in Cubase, then, in order to hear that vocal you obviously have to engage the “monitor button” on that track. At that point you’re saying that in addition to seeing the meters on that track, and input channel, you also see the large meter in the control room? Because that’s never been the case with me, even before analog summing. The control meters have only shown levels from a recorded track playing back.

The control room meters show any signal that is routed to the default output bus.

Just reporting that I finally figured out why my control room stereo out meters weren’t working. I still had Direct Monitoring ticked for recording with zero latency. Everything is now metering as it should be. Doh!

FWIW There is also a preference to show the Hardware meters inside Cubase when direct Monitoring.

FWIW There is also a preference to show the Hardware meters inside Cubase when direct Monitoring.

I did not know that…Thanks!