Still possible to get 8.5 ?

Now that 9 is out, is it still possible to go from 8 to 8.5?

Steinberg only sells their latest software in their store. But… I’m sure you can still locate an upgrade version at a local or on line retailer like Musicians Friend.

Regards :sunglasses:

You can also buy the latest version 9, but download older versions from Steinberg and install them (at no charge).

AFAIK, you can also run all older versions that used the eLiscencer software/Dongle with the newest key.

So, unless there is a substantial price break in buying an older version, go ahead and get the latest. You can still run 8.5, 8.0, 7, 6, etc. under the same key.

I might be mistaken about this, but I think you can also run ‘smaller’ versions than your specific key as well. I.E. If you purchase Pro, I think the same key would also let you also run the smaller variants like ‘Artist or Elements’.

Finally, it’s my understanding that if you purchased 8.5 from some store right now, you’d fall under the grace period to upgrade it to 9 for free. If you got something older than 8.5, you’d most likely need to pay upgrade fees to get it up to the latest cut.

Upgrade from 8.0 to 8.5 - 49EUROS
Upgrade from 8.0 to 9.0 - 199EUROS
Upgrade from 8.5 to 9.0 - 99EUROS
So I must pay an extra 150EUROS to use 8.5 and continue to receive bug fixes as there are no more planned updates for 8.0 and the new features in 9.0 do not interest me.
That hardly seems fair. Update to 8.5 should be available even if you remove the grace period update. That leaves me with the choice of whether I want to pay the extra 99EUROS for 9.0. If I did, it would still be 50EUROS cheaper than going from 8.0 to 9.0.

Registered 2012 and you still have not noticed how it works?
I mean how long was it possible to buy 8.5 now? Roughly 1 Year?

I demo 8.5 every time a new version is released and sadly none of the bugs that affect me have been fixed, therefore I did not buy it. The new features in 8.5 also do not interest me. However we were promised that the new video engine will still make it to a future 8.5 update. That would entice me to buy it.

I know how it works. Why should I buy 8.5 if they do not fix the bugs?

I don´t know and I don´t care, but it was you who complained about having to pay money to use 8.5

I understand where you are coming from BJ. You have a couple of options:

  • Stay up to date with the software and “hope” they fix the bugs
  • Wait until the bugs that affect you are fixed and pay a one off lump sum for that update and the development costs of the updates that you skipped (development is linear)
  • If you consider the price too high for your specific bug fixes you can either wait for a sale (normally 50% off), or you will need to stop using Cubase and find another DAW.

There is no promise that bugs will be fixed. It’s not in the EULA. That’s the way some software companies operate. But I don’t blame the companies, they’re only there to make money, so if people keep purchasing buggy software then the company will keep releasing it because it’s cheaper to do so.

I would be happy to buy 8.5 just for the “new” “visual” media bay as I’m not a regular CB user and find this 8.5 media bay so much convivial and easier to use. To me, it’s a real time saver.

But it is possible to still activate and register version 8.5, despite the fact that version 9 is the current version, isn’t it. There are software developers that doesn’t accept new activations of older versions.

I don´t know and I don´t care, but it was you who complained about having to pay money to use 8.5

The issue I have is that I should not have to pay more than the original 49Euros to update to 8.5, if all I want is 8.5, for as long as 8.5 is officially supported by Steinberg. If you can not see the logic in that, no further explanation necessary.


Cubase 9 is the current version and C8.5 is no longer available in the online store.

Well, If you want 8.5, you have to buy it, while it is available, and you have to pay just that. We are at Version 9 now, so 8.5 is no longer available, and you can´t buy it directly at Steinberg anymore. Very logical.

I emailed the support. They replied very quickly.
8.5 not available anymore. Still possible to get it from the support if I upgrade 8 to 9. Don’t see the real benefit to get 8.5 once I got 9 though. I’m waiting for the 9 trial to come out and see if it’s for me. Midi editing and media bay improvements in 8.5 are the features interesting me right now. I downloaded the 8.5 trial. At least I could try it.