Still possible to Quickly Enable Monitor on Selected Track?

I’m starting to record vocals in Cubase after years of absence and I’m trying to get a good workflow going from my bluetooth keyboard, as I stand a few feet away from the DAW. A few questions…

I know the “R” key is a keyboard shortcut to arm the track for record. But is there a keyboard shortcut to enable the monitoring of the track? I’m using an FX channel to provide real-time comfort reverb and I’d like to be able to activate this quickly for when I’m rehearsing over the tracks, but only way I know right now is to leave my microphone, walk up to the computer and use the mouse to do it. I’d love to know if there is a key assigned for this, which I could press on the bluetooth keyboard.

On the same note, if I remember correctly, there use to be a Preference we could set so that whenever a track was enabled, it became Monitor enabled. Is that preference gone in Cubase Pro 8.5? All I can find is the preference to have the selected track armed, (but not necessarily monitor enabled).

Advice on these 2 points would be appreciated!

Hi,

If there is no default Key Command for the Monitor, you can assign your own. I have Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M assigned, which seems to be my very personal settings, so I guess, there is no any Key Command assigned by default. You can assign it in the File > Key Commands > Edit (folder) > Monitor.

The preferences, you are asking for, is in the Preferences > VST > Auto Monitoring. The Manual is selected by default. You can select While Record-Enabled here, what is the settings, you are asking for.

Martin, this is GREAT! I thought I had thoroughly looked thru all the options - not sure why Steinberg didn’t put that option along the other Recording preferences but I’m just happy you helped me out. I took a screenshot to add to my personal procedure document. So thanks for that! In my case, I’ll probably assign the T key because it’s right next to the R key (for Record Enable) and I don’t use the Sync Online feature assigned by default to the T.

One more thing: I considered using E which is also next to R (“E” for enable), but it’s assigned as “Left Select to Cursor”. I tried a bunch of things to figure out what this shortcut/function does and Cubase just wouldn’t do anything. Maybe I don’t know how to use it properly, or maybe there’s a bug? Can you please explain how to use this “Left Selecto to Cursor” feature cuz it’s not doing anything over here!

One more thing: I considered using E which is also next to R (“E” for enable), but it’s assigned as “Left Select to Cursor”. I tried a bunch of things to figure out what this shortcut/function does and Cubase just wouldn’t do anything. Maybe I don’t know how to use it properly, or maybe there’s a bug? Can you please explain how to use this “Left Selecto to Cursor” feature cuz it’s not doing anything over here!

Shortcuts E and D work with range selection tool.
They extend the left or right side of the selection range to cursor position.