Stop searching plugins

How do I get rid of Dorico’s search for plugins belonging to Cubase? Now I have to click on either “rescan” or “stop” on every wave plugin when I start Dorico. Annoying!

First of all, plug-ins don’t belong to Cubase or Dorico or whatever hosting app, they are shared components that may be used by any capable hosting application.
If plug-ins adhere to the VST3 standard, then they reside at specific locations and any VST3 capable host will look at these locations, so there is no way around this.
If they are VST2 plug-ins, well, the spec was not so closed at that time, and VST2 plugs can reside at basically any location, but you have to tell the hosting app then, where to find them. So if you have VST2 plugs that you want to hide from Dorico, then it is as simple as moving them to a different folder, adapt Cubase’s search path, but not for Dorico, and so Dorico won’t see them anymore.

Thank’s for your answer! This is too complicated for me! I just want things to work, don’t want to be an engineer. I can probably live with it like this. It’s only when I use my laptop.

It would be great to be able to set the VST-folders and to check or decheck plugins in Dorico like in Cubase.
It is annoying if I have to change the Cubase-settings just because I want something in Dorico changed.

Yes I totally agree with you!Can’t understand why Dorico has to scan plugins it doesn’t use?

The point is that you can use any plug-in you have installed on your system with Dorico if you wish. So it has to scan all VST plug-ins, since you could ask it to use any of them.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have a setting so that it only scans on demand, or that it only scans new/updated plugins? Right now, there are a handful of plugins that the MacOS is flagging as unsafe or not trusted or whatever, and my DAW only had to tell me that once, and now it only scans newly added plugins. But every time I launch Dorico 4.0 now, I get all of those alert messages.

Yes, I need to clean up and get rid of them or tell the OS they’re safe, but I haven’t gotten around to that yet, and in the meantime would like to not have to click on a bunch of alerts each time I start Dorico :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, I did manage to get rid of those alerts by following the instructions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/galkk3/macos_catalina_10154_and_vsts_vst_cannot_be/

So for the time being, I’m ok :slight_smile: