Stop Using Bookmarks In PDF

Another “this will never happen” request.

I wish you guys would stop using Bookmarks to indicate sections of the PDF. (Chapters, topics, etc.)

-Bookmarks- are for -me-, -me-, -me- to find notes that are for -me-, -me-, -me-. Not -you- to organise your documentation. It’s just not what Adobe intended for an e-book.

Since we don’t get a ‘What’s New’, I gotta search around for stuff I want to highlight and the bookmarks are the way one is supposed to do it in Acrobat.

You’re supposed to use the comment section for your own comments… all pdf manuals use the “bookmark” function.

Bookmarks are generated automatically during PDF creation from the table-of-contents entries of documents created by most desktop publishing programs. These bookmarks are often tagged and can be used to make edits in the PDF.

I hear what you’re saying, but regardless of common practice, it is -not- semantically correct.

I’m not being pedantic. A ‘bookmark’ is just what it says it is. As I use eBooks more and more I need to be able to find -my- bookmarks (there’s no other way to say it). Publishers have hijacked this function rather than set up proper chapters/sections/etc.

My opinion - it is the exact intended function.
My experience with pdf manuals includes manual for $$$ engineering software. They all use this approach.

It is the norm/accepted standard/ practise.