Strange behaviour midi controller (Arturia Beatstep)

(Sorry, but I’m not sure if my issue lies with Windows 10, Cubase or my midi controller so I’m starting here.)

I have a midi controller (Arturia Beatstep) which has started to behave weirdly after not using it for a week or two. I use the built-in step sequencer a lot and before when I used it with my vst plugin JP6K it sounded just great, both through speakers and with midi file playback. (listen to “recording 1”.)

But now for some reason when I use the step sequencer it sounds like this through the speakers (“recording 2”)…shuffly/choppy and weird.
But after recording the midi into Cubase and play it back, it sounds like this (“recording 3”…and the midi file looks good too) though with a more staccato feeling compared to before.

What’s going on? I haven’t, to my knowledge, done anything out of the ordinary.
I did noticed though that my Win 10 registered my Arturia Beatstep as a new USB device today, which is strange since the usb cable has not been removed (though I haven’t used the Beatstep in 1-2 weeks) from the computer since last time I used it. Is there a way to “reset” a usb device in Windows?

Cubase 5
Win 10

Recording 1

Recording 2

Recording 3