String indicators for bowed strings?

I am engraving a score that was hand-drawn in the 1950s, and have come across some odd notation choices. Some of them are these string indicators written on the violin and viola lines, using Roman numerals and followed by a mysterious “c.” (pictured below)

What’s the deal with these kinds of indicators? I cannot find any documentation about how to put these Roman numerals in for bowed strings, only finding a feature request from last year. When I attempt to put Roman numerals into the fingerings popover, nothing happens.

Part of this is asking how to notate this in Dorico, but part of it is also asking what this symbol means in the score: what does the “c.” mean after the numeral? All help is much appreciated- thank you!

Welcome to the forum! Hope you’re having an excellent time.
Those are string indicators (some copyists use only roman numerals). The c. stands for “corda” (string in Italian).
In the violins case, it’s the fourth string (hence IV corda or IVc.). In the viola case it’s the third string.
You can notate it in Dorico using a playing technique (create a new playing technique).

You can even specify a continuation line.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the “c.” is an abbreviation for corda. (In this case, it looks like an instruction to play on the g string.

You can’t enter this instruction using the fingering popover. You’ll need to use text instead.

Stew

This makes sense- thanks to everyone!