String notation - Bracket to indicate played at same time

You can bookmark threads with the new forum.

Thanks Romanos, Iā€™ll do that.
In the meantime, somebody has fixed the typo! Donā€™t know who, since Robby said he couldnā€™t do it. Anyway, thank you whoever did it!

As for the bracket with hooks on the right in the Line tool (which I slightly prefer for this), how do I get it to show up on that menu so I can choose it? It exists to be edited when I choose editing, but it doesnā€™t show up on the menu? (Or alternatively, how do I create a key command for it?)

If youā€™re creating a new line style using the Library > Lines dialog, it will show up in the Vertical Lines section of the Lines panel in Write mode; it wonā€™t appear in the Ornaments panel.

Iā€™m not creating a new line style, Iā€™m just hoping for Solid vertical line with right-pointing hooks (which already exists, and is present on the Edit Lines dialog) to appear in the Vertical Lines section of the Lines panel so I can choose it. It seems to be the only one of the default vertical line styles that doesnā€™t display there.

Edited to add: After trying a smaller screen resolution on my iMac, I found that the bottom of the Edit Lines display has some controls that had been off the bottom of my screen. By duplicating the bracket I wanted, and then using it in the music (essential), I find that it will appear in the panel thereafter. So I found a solution.

Your edit probably answered the question, but when I open the Lines section in the right panel this is what shows up. The red arrow points to the one which I think you were referring to.

Yes. The bottom row (the last 2 line types) does not appear for me. Or didnā€™t, until I found the workaround (and now the right-facing bracket appears twice, because I had to copy it to get it to appear hereā€¦ no problem with that of course).

Similar question so I hope itā€™s okay Iā€™m adding to this thread. I am trying to create a vertical bracket, not on this whole chord, but on just the highlighted notes ā€” so the first division plays the high E, the second division plays the G, the third division plays the double-stop (with an open string) and the fourth division plays the bottom G:

Is it possible (yet?) to bracket two notes of a multi-note chord? (This is also useful in piano music when bracketing two notes that are played by the thumb.) Currently my workaround is to just change the Y offsets of the bracket in Engrave mode, but I was wondering if there was an automatic way to do it. And if not, Iā€™d like to request it! :slight_smile: Obviously not hugely important but just a nice-to-have. Thanks!

There are top & bottom position adjustments in Properties. Note that they are not just distances, but are designed to keep clear of the staff lines.

This kind of divisi is clearer when written in 2 voices, so the notes you want to bracket are offset horizontally by default. (Youā€™d still need the bracket, I think.)

2 Likes

The two voices thing is a great idea ā€” thank you!