Strings: stacked fingering for flageolets

I’m writing some stuff using artificial flageolets on string instruments, and want to indicate which fingers that should be used to produce them.

Since Dorico considers flageolets as single notes, I’m not able to use the chord mechanic (e.g.: shift + F → 1,4). The single-note mechanic (e.g.: shift + F → 14) should be the proper solution. However, this doesn’t produce vertical fingering, only horizontal (like shown in the image below), and I haven’t managed to figure out how to hack it yet.

There is global solution for valved instruments (in the engraving options) that gives the results that I want, but it doesn’t exist for strings. Of course, it isn’t really viable as a general solution anyway, as both vertical (flageolets) and horizontal (trills) fingering might be needed in the same piece, but could work in a pinch.

Does anyone know of any way to stack fingerings for single notes like for chords? (Or is this a feature that has yet to be implemented?)

Regards
Fredrik
fingering flageolet.gif

I haven’t tried this with flageolets, but in chords stacking fingers are separated by a comma “,”. Also, both pitches have to be selected, and the fingerings are entered bottom to top.

Hope that helps.

I think you can achieve this if you hide a note in a separate voice underneath. (Set same stem direction and change voice column index to 0)

1 Like

R pearl: that’s how it works with chords, which is super convenient I agree. If I understand Dorico correctly, the problem is: a flageolet, although it looks like multiple notes in a chord-like manner, is actually just a single note with a graphical add-on from the properties panel. Hence the chord procedure doesn’t work.

JesterMusician: That’s a nice workaround, thanks! It does remind me of the good’ol hackety hacky Finale days though, and not in a pleasant way. I’d love for this issue to be addressed properly by the developers some time in the future (*cue dreamy music).

Another way to do this is to enter both pitches as standard notepads. Add fingering, then change the upper notepad to a diamond shape. You won’t get place back, but it is fairly quick, especially if you filter for the upper pitch.

1 Like