Struggling to load Cubase 12.020

Since installing the 12.020 update, when I attempt to run the program, as the initialization is being run through, it hangs on loading VSTs. The only way I can get the program to run is to exclude VSTs when prompted in when running again. I have gone through all my VST folders and removed all but the Steinberg folders. I have never had this happen before and am stumped. Where do I go from here?

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Are you on Mac or Windows, please?

If you are on Windows…

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo11

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

1 Like

Hi There Martin.

I was hoping for a relatively simple answer to this problem. I am letting you know that I am not easily able to perform the tasks you,ve set me, as I am traveling in Outback Austalia where internet is at best intermitant or non existant.
The frustration of this fault is debilitating and depressing as I was counting on using Cubase while on this journey. What is so annoying is that I have started some projects without any problems, and only after installing C12.020 has this issue arisen. I am considering reinstalling C11 so I can at least get some work done.
I am really annoyed, but I guess I’m just venting. I know it’s not your fault.
As soon as I am able, I will attempt the DMP.
Kind regards

Allen

Hi,

You can also uninstall the C12.0.20 update to revert back to C12.0.10.

Hi there Martin.

Firstly, I have uninstalled 12.020 but I don’t know how to revert back to 12.0.10.
I reinstalled 12.020 and when I ran it, it went through the initialization and worked as expected.
I opened a new project and did a few things and saved it.

The second time I ran the program it stalled in exactly the same place.

I used the procdump64 as you suggested using the command prompt as shown.
I then initiated C12 and simultaneously Procdump and this time the initialize VST continued to run but this time threw up this window.

I have included task manager in the image, to show that no other processes are running.
This only happens when I run procdump64 simultaneously.

I looked for the DMG file that should have been created, but I could find no trace of it in the folder in which procdump64 is installed.

A long time ago I had some Wave VSTs installed but have uninstalled them and deleted any trace of them, yet here is Cubase picking up from somewhere, some reference to that.

Just to add some extra information, I reinstalled C11 and ran it once without problems. Second time round it hangs up in exactly the same place in VST initialization. I haven’t used procdump64 on it, but I am thinking that it will produce the same result.

My best guess is that there is some reference to Waves Licences or something in a setup file that is being written to by both versions of Cubase, and it trips up each time it encounters it on a startup.

I am pretty well stuffed now. The time I have spent on this has sapped me of any energy. I can’t work on any of my projects. What more can I do?
Regards
Allen.

Hi Martin.

Some progress. It looks like I can use C12 if I load it similtaneously with procdump64. It is a nuisance workaround but I will percevere with it until I can find a solution.

At the same time I moved procdump64 to a new folder and Voila I have the DMP file.
I will include a link. I hope it helps you determine my problem
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fbxujgjfi6ultbv/AAD4Nm5suOartTFniNn00udxa?dl=0

|
Miscelaneous
Shared with Dropbox
www.dropbox.com
|

• | - |

Sorry to be such a bother.
Regards
Allen

Hi,

I’m not Windows user. But as far as I know on Windows are all updates available as separate “applications”. So you can uninstall Cubase 12.0.20 update, what means, you get the previous version (12.0.10).

Hi There Martin.

I have managed to solve my problem after all.
Thanks for putting up with my desperate entreaties.

By narrowing down the variables, I have found a hidden folder of Waves stuff. I don’t know how I missed it before but thanks to Procdump I at least had a clue where to look. I deleted the folder and both C11 and C12 initialized and ran without problems.

I just want to say, Thank you. Perhaps now I can get on with my projects.
Kind Regards
Allen

1 Like

Since this crashes were also caused by plugins, this could interest you as well.
Cubase should not crash, even if the plugins crash. Would be nice if you could leave a vote here if you think the same:

Solution to crashes by plugins - Sandboxing (Crash protection) - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

It is possible for Windows installers to work as Martin describes, but only if the update is a Windows Installer patch (a .msu file) on top of a Windows Installer (a .msi file). However, Steinberg installers are of the more traditional type - an executable installer that overwrites (or silently uninstalls) the previous version of the applications. I am almost certain that uninstalling Cubase 12.0.20 on a Windows system that previously had 12.0.10 will uninstall Cubase 12 entirely.

I suspect the only way back to 12.0.10 is if you still have the Zip file that Steinberg Download Manager downloaded. If you did, unzip the whole file and you will find a setup.exe to run.

I keep installers in case I need to revert, but do not have the Cubase Pro 12.0.10 installer as I crossgraded to Nuendo some time ago. I hope we are not far away from Cubase/Nuendo 12.0.30, as Nuendo 12.0.20 is a crash-fest on my system (the RME ASIO issues that there are numerous reports of). I don’t have the option of reverting as 12.0.20 was the first public version of Nuendo 12 and a Nuendo licence will not authorise Cubase. Fortunately, Nuendo 11 is stable.

1 Like

Thanks Tj99.
It makes perfect sense to me, after my recent experience. Even if Cubase threw up a notice asking to bypass any offending plugin would be helpful. In my case I had no idea which plugin was the culprit. I voted, let’s hope they listen.
Al

1 Like

Thank you very much!
The thing is, this is not just black or white, there are not only plugins which work or don’t work, but there is everything in between. Also the stability of plugins/Cubase depends on so many different things: your system, different plugin versions/incompabilities with new updates, but sometimes also corrupted data or just bad luck it seems. Time to implement some kind of crash protection, to be sure Cubase runs no matter what, to not lose data/projects and to be able to find issues much quicker!