Stuck in fullscreen on Mac

Hi!
Got a little problem with a project that, whenever I open it, gets stuck in fullscreen. I also can’t bring up the menu bar at the top of the screen with my mouse. It only happens on this one file and the only difference I can think of is that I closed the file whilst having multiple windows/tabs open (one in condensed mode, one in galley view), which now don’t show.
Any ideas on how to get out of this?
Joe

update: okay, managed to fix it.
Just opened up a new project whilst the other one was open and could use the ‘window’ tab in the menu bar to select and close each bugged open window separately. Then, when I quit dorico and opened the bugged file again, it wasn’t full screen and I could get it working again.

Welcome to the forum, Joe. I think typically Dorico respects the global Mac shortcut, which (on my machine at least) is Cmd-Ctrl-F. Someone has recently reported not being able to get hold of the menu bar from a full screen Dorico project on Big Sur, but I’ve not been able to replicate the problem here.

Hi, thanks!

I think I tried that shortcut and it wouldn’t respond. Unfortunately I couldn’t create a diagnostic report because I couldn’t get to the menu bar. I am running Big Sur so maybe it is something there. If it helps at all, I also tried to drag a different program full screen to run side-by-side with the bugged dorico window and I could, but the dorico filled the screen, covering up most of the other program.

Same exact thing for me- how were you able to close the other project from the window tab, though? I don’t see that option.

I’m still on High Sierra (MacOS 10.13.6), so this might possibly be different in later System versions.
If you enter full screen, either by clicking on the green maximize button in the top left corner of the document window or by using cmd-ctrl-F, moving the mouse pointer so that the tip of the arrow rests against the top edge of the screen’s display area and won’t go any higher will cause the menu bar and the top of the document window to drop into view after a second or two.
Another technique I use a lot is to hold down the option/alt key when clicking on the green button. The window will go almost full screen, leaving the menu bar and the top of the document window showing.

So if I remember correctly, once you have a file open that isn’t bugged fullscreen, if you go to the window tab on the menu bar you should be able to scroll down to the bottom, click to open the window that is bugged, and it shouldnt be bugged this time. At least thats what seemed to work for me :man_shrugging:t3:

Hope this helps!

I’m working with 3 monitors. The problem may be related to that. Quitting then relaunching Dorico sometimes re-opens a project on a different screen at slightly the wrong size, and a fullscreen window gets stuck behind the Mac menu bar and can’t be moved or resized, and standard window keyboard shortcuts don’t work.

What worked for me was to create a new window on the problem project, then close all projects, then re-open the project.

This is a problem with how the Dorico interface is interacting with the Mac top of screen menus on multiple monitors in Big Sur.

None of this works for me…my top menu is unaccessible as well. I am getting tired of this buggy program.

Welcome to the forum, cbanks. Is it just one project that is hiding the menu bar? Have you tried creating a new project just to see what happens?

If you’re new to the program, and haven’t already tried the Dorico First Steps doc, I think it’s helpful.

@cbanks ,

You have now posted snarky posts in two threads, but you have yet to tell us what version of Dorico you are using or what computer setup or version of the Mac OS you are using. That does not give us much to go on if we wanted to help you.

This is a long shot, but it might be worth trying if you are using two displays.
There is a keyboard shortcut in MacOS to switch between mirroring the main display to a second monitor and treating them as separate displays.
Depending on your settings in System Preferences > Keyboard it will be either Command-F1 or fn-Command-F1.
My thinking is that switching between the two modes might give a bit of a nudge to help reset whatever it is that is causing the issue. No guarantees given.

If the main menu bar at the top is out of sight, two other things to try are:

1. Command-Control-F (full screen toggle),
    and
  2. move the mouse pointer up against the very top of the screen and hold it there - after a second or two the menu bar should drop down into view.

You can also get out of full screen mode in Dorico by holding Control and Command and then typing F.

Mac Monterey…Dorico Pro 3. Im just super frustrated because some things about this program are so great and make work so much easier. Then other things like using airpods or installing on a windows device and just getting the sounds to work. All the suggested shortcuts did not work…I had to keep opening and closing until it finally just wasn’t in fullscreen