Sub brackets for divisi strings

Hi…
I have a score with 'Cello divisi a3, which, after condensing, reduces to 2 staves in Engrave Mode (from the original 3 staves in Write Mode).

The layout of this condensing is div. 1.2. on the upper stave and 3. on the lower stave.

I would like to add a sub-bracket which “binds” the divisi 'Celli as a group, just as you would with a pair of flutes, or oboes, etc.

The sub-bracket tool does not allow me to drag the sub-bracket down to the lower stave of the divi 'Celli. Each time I drag it down, it pops back up (after a few seconds) and remains only on the upper stave of the divisi 'Celli.

What am I doing wrong? Have I missed some vital step?

Many thanks,
Anthony

Probably you are changing the bracket on the system where the divisi starts, but the divisi change isn’t actually at the start of the system. A second stave will be drawn anyway, but it doesn’t yet technically “exist” so the bracketing change doesn’t know what it applies to.
What you can do is (in Engrave mode) select something in both staves from right after the divisi change, then click the sub-bracket icon on the left.
edit: welcome to the forum, by the way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Hugo,
Thank you for your prompt reply to my question.
I have worked through (very methodically) with your instructions, however, I have not been successful in my mission. I am very new to this software (I’m still on my 30 day trial period), so I suspect I’m doing something which Dorico doesn’t like.

You may want to check the default bracket grouping options for the layout - there’s a chance there’s a default option that will cater for this automatically.