Suggested use of Rehearsal Marks

Working in a project with tens of instruments, spanning hundreds of bars it’s easy to spend far too much time navigating around a full score.

I find using Rehearsal Marks a useful navigation aide; after all, that’s what they are for, handy references which likely relate to the structure of the piece.

I have used Rehearsal Marks to parcel up units of note input or proof-reading work.
And I temporarily make distinctive (eg double or dashed) bar lines at the Rehearsal Marks as a vertical guide so that I can see where I am as I scroll around the bowels of an un-condensed score.

I was wondering if it would make sense for Dorico to understand a little more about the meaning of Rehearsal Marks. For example, some suggestions:

• a Go to next / previous Rehearsal Mark command

• Galley Mode to show the Rehearsal Mark or some abbreviation or icon instead of / as well as the bar number

You can select a Rehearsal mark, and go to next/previous with the arrow keys.

Jesper

Yes, that’s true.
Useful if you’re working already near to a Rehearsal Mark.

Worth mentioning markers? While the are in the menu section for working with video, they don’t require video to work. That would give you a list of places in the score to jump to in any order that you needed with text, and nice that a forest of markers you use for composing don’t necessarily have to be visible later to players which might find them unnecessary.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions about Markers, and next/ previous Rehearsal Mark which have their uses but don’t really meet everything I am after, particularly “Go To”

• You’d have to find a Rehearsal Mark first; select it; then go to next / previous. OK, but a bit long-winded.

However, I now use Comments to whiz about a large score. This is by far the quickest way of getting to specific areas of the score.

I still think “Go to Rehearsal Mark” is a good idea. But in lieu of such a command Dorico’s Comments are really useful. For example, add (and move around) a “You are here” comment in a bar that I am focusing on means that the RH Panel / Zone’s list of comments gives instant access to that bar.

Following on from that: Dorico could expand the Rehearsal Mark tool to open a list of Rehearsal Marks with their bar numbers (in much the same manner as comments). Click on an entry to go there. How about that?

2 Likes

I’ve just discovered that there is a command (that I have assigned to control+option+command+R) for Go to Rehearsal Mark on my iPad.

Fantastic!

Not 100% what I had in mind but 88% super useful!