Suggestion: Hide notes not in instrument playable range

It would be nice if there was a way to hide key-switch notes that are not in the playable range of an instrument. Maybe make these dimmed (or a different color) so you can optionally see them but different enough to allow one to read the playable notes.

Edit: And by hide I also mean ignore for display of notation, but not ignore for playback.

1 Like

When the promised improved playback arrives, I would guess there will be a much better way to do this than by putting key-switch notes in the score.

It might be better just to “roll with the punches” for now, and wait for the update…

Sibelius, of course, colours notes red that are “out of range”, or bright red if they are impossible by all but professional players. Thankfully, this can be adjusted.

The problem really is how to define what is out of range. It’s no use having notes that are hidden because someone has decided they are too high or too low. With my own instrument (horn) Sibelius thinks the written top G is out of range, which is in fact a note that every player, except beginners, should be able to manage. Likewise for low notes; it consistently signals as out of range notes that any competent player can reach.

But none of this matters if the composer/arranger knows his or her stuff. If you write for particular instruments you must know at least a few basic things about them and preferably a lot more than that. For example, in one musical context a high note might be easy-peasy; in another context it could be a nightmare for the player.

Automatically hiding out-of-range notes, even if the setting can be customised, is not the answer.

ChrisC, Dbudde said “key switch notes” which are “dummy” notes for controlling computer playback - for example to select arco or pizz sounds for strings. They are usually WAY outside of the playable range of the instrument - often several octaves below the bass clef.

In a sequencer or DAW that doesn’t matter, because you can put them on a separate track so they don’t get mixed up with the “real notes”. Programs like Finale and Sibelius generate them automatically (using Sound Sets, Human Playback, etc) so you never actually see them.

I get that for longer term, expression maps will replace the key switch notes. But when importing existing scores which have a ton of key switches already in them, it would be nice to be able to display a score without the key switch notes. Otherwise, it’s a lot of work to convert those keyswitches to expression text.

Seems like a simple thing to be able to hide notes not in range.

'ChrisC, Dbudde said “key switch notes” which are “dummy” notes for controlling computer playback - for example to select arco or pizz sounds for strings. They are usually WAY outside of the playable range of the instrument - often several octaves below the bass clef.

In a sequencer or DAW that doesn’t matter, because you can put them on a separate track so they don’t get mixed up with the “real notes”. Programs like Finale and Sibelius generate them automatically (using Sound Sets, Human Playback, etc) so you never actually see them.’

Sometimes I’m thankful I don’t have to understand everything about computers!

And I’m always thankful I never had to figure out how all the plumbing on a French Horn is supposed to work!

The way this will ultimately handled will probably be via Play mode, where you’ll be able to select notes in the piano roll and specify that they should not display in the notation views.

So will I be able to click a key on the piano roll keyboard and say select all notes above or below that key? If so, this will work great.

Something like that, I would guess, Dave, yes. I can’t say exactly when, however!