I have been distinguishing glissando and portamento as follows:
However, Dorico treats them as a selective option under glissando category.
I think distinguishing them is often better.
Even on timpani and strings like violin family without fretboard, it is often better to differently notate:
- glissando: gliding pitches with tremolo
- portamento: gliding pitches without tremolo
When using portamento, I always must change three options:
- changing Glissando style
- changing Glissando text
- changing Glissando text shown
For No. 1 and No. 2, it would be simple if Dorico automatically process these options by typing popover text
- “portamento” or “port” for portamento and
- “gliss” or “glissando” for glissando.
For No. 3, it would be very convenient if there would be a global option for glissando text show under Notation options (CMD + SHIFT + N).
I would like to know how other users think about my suggestion/request.