Suggestion: retire eLicenser

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/license-management-and-the-future-of-the-elicenser-changes-ahead/701407

I believe it’s not just down to Dorico - the dongle-free system will affect all of Steinberg’s products, and roll out needs to be consistent and company-wide (and work!).

I certainly have no insider info so just speculation, but I imagine it could push back the Dorico 4 launch further than intended…

1 Like

No, it’s not just up to Dorico; that’s the whole reason we were stuck with the elicenser to begin with. This is indeed a company-wide issue and solution.

I wonder what the technical difficulties are for Steinberg in this regard. Lots of other companies have successful internet based licencing, such as Adobe. I am rather puzzled as to why this is taking so long. Lack of resources perhaps.

1 Like

It is a lot easier to create a secure licensing solution based on a physical dongle, for the same reasons that hardware keys are often recommended for two factor authentication. If they were to rush it and create a system that could be easily hacked to spread pirated versions of the software, it would not be good for them and also would not be good for the users who paid good money to legally license the software.

Setting up a new license management while keeping the existing environment into consideration always takes time. I am pretty sure that the other companies also had a lot of work to do behind the scences before going public.

And Adobe uses a subscription model. :-1:

AMEN!!!

Laptops don’t have infinite ports… especially ones without Thunderbolt and only USB… to have the audacity to use up consumer’s resources with unnecessary implements which your competitors have tossed away years ago, while keeping their software secure means that either Steinberg is attempting to “Manage us into submission” or that they refuse to concede to what others currently do as already working fine, and are therefore attempting to OVER-engineer solutions.

This is clear in other products which attempt to focus solely on Steinberg’s interests with little concern for consumers… For example: Groove Agent (which SHOULD be able to function as a software Percussion focused MIDI controller… like an MPC) can ONLY accept MIDI messages, and NOT send. Therefore we cannot control other software such as MODO Drums or other hardware. Which is Ironic as tools such as EZ-Drummer can do it just as easily as can be.

Steinberg in its hubris believes that it is more clever than consumers… as though we are all cretins who cannot manage to simply assess and compare across the landscape.

But… When it begins to impact their revenue, it’ll likely begin costing employees their jobs very rapidly, and at that point (after over a decade of dismissive behaviors) it may be TOO FAR impacted of a set of issues to resolve. Customers (especially Gen X. and beyond who either began seeing the decay of brands into sole focus on margins, leading to the “Death of Brand Loyalty en masse” ) will likely just find brands which (if nothing else) seem less condescendingly cynical in their perspective of consumers…

…Realizing who (collectively) controls the revenue stream. Money IS our vote within capital constructs.

Remember our voice by remembering our power… take it back to the 80’s MTV commercials and Metaphorically “Rock the Vote!”

1 Like

Quite harsh talking. :hushed: BUT, still (as a programmer) understanding the underlying complex issues, I can not NOT agree. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Given that Steinberg has said numerous times that they are moving away from the dongle/eLicensing system, I can’t help wondering why this continues to be such a heated topic for some. It sounds a lot like whining to me.

6 Likes

Fair enough…

After all, the day on which we speak with one voice and no dissenting opinions will be the day which will signify the death of individualism.

Be well.

Exactly “they said numerous times” but it is not there yet, we all wonder if it is ever going to happen, and if it does, what will they offer. A "fixed e-licenser " won´t do in my life.
In the meantime, many of us are getting stuck, over and over again, and wasting time, so that is the reason the topic is “heated”, and we are “whining”.

1 Like

Just to throw in another opinion to this debate.
It seems that Steinberg with it’s licensing model so far has been quite successful as a small company.
If you have a successful company, you can keep a lot of talented developers in work. This is to our all advantage. Creative people are sometimes not good with business, it is being rumoured.
If Steinberg makes a mistake, whilst the transfer and change of their licensing system, it could be the end of a success story - which none of us want.
So let us be patient (we have proven that we can) until they have sorted out a rock solid solution - as I said: it’s to the advantage of us all.

Oh seriously folks, I’m sorry but just get off of it. I’ve worked as a senior software guy for most of my long career at companies with big legacy systems. As @Ed_Doll has said they’re doing it, so yeah it will be here in the not too distant future! And yes it’s a hard problem doing this kind of thing with all these legacy products! The test cycles alone are a huge effort, you just don’t want to screw this up.

So stop filling the airwaves with useless chatter, just forget about it and write some music meanwhile, one day you’ll have a new system that will be better that we all can enjoy.

/tirade off :slight_smile:

6 Likes