Suggestion: Single command for specific dotted values

It isn’t possible to assign a single key/midi command to a specific dotted note value, is it?

For example: one single key command for dotted crochet - instead of 1) chrochet and then 2) dotted value on.

This would speed up the notation of music with lots of dotted rythms, and also would reduce the number of notation errors. (Dorico has the fancy possibility to afterwards convert straight passages into dotted pairs - but this involves another mental step and a second roundtrip on that passage that would best be avoided.)

Good idea, isn’t it? :slight_smile: This would be especially handy when using a separate controller for key commands. (I’m using Stream Deck - works well!)

/ Jonas

If all you want is a specific dotted note value, then it’s actually possible at the moment. You can record a macro of selecting a crotchet and turning on “the dot”, and assign the “run last script” command to one key.

I understand that this might not be exactly what you’re looking for, but if you’re only using dotted crotchets or only using dotted quavers it might quicken up your work process.

Maybe the ability to temporarily ‘stick’ a dot to a rhythmic shortcut.

Hi Jonas,
Like you I just got a stream deck.
But I cannot get it to work with Windows10/cubase 9. It works fine with other application (vlc, sends correctly the hotkeys to the word pad). So the stream deck works ok.
I have tried many configurations, cubase just does not react to the stream deck. Even when I focus on a text box of cubase (the comment textbox of the track), the hotkey does not appear. It appears just fine on other applications, and the keyborad shortcuts are also working fine!
You wrote that yours work fine… Did you have to configure someting special on cubase.
Stéphan

Hi Jonas,
Like you I just got a stream deck.
But I cannot get it to work with Windows10/cubase 9. It works fine with other application (vlc, sends correctly the hotkeys to the word pad). So the stream deck works ok.
I have tried many configurations, cubase just does not react to the stream deck. Even when I focus on a text box of cubase (the comment textbox of the track), the hotkey does not appear. It appears just fine on other applications, and the keyborad shortcuts are also working fine!
You wrote that yours work fine… Did you have to configure someting special on cubase.
Stéphan

A different suggestion for dotted notes . . .

It is a pain to add dotted notes. I can’t do it without talking my eyes off the screen to find the period. Could Dorico be programmed to do the following . . . ?

The number keys for note duration would remain the same. However, if you wanted your note dotted, you could simply hit the appropriate number key twice within a short period of time:

1. once to select the note duration
  2. a second time to add a dot
  3. and a third time to add a double dot.

Your finger is already on the key. What do people think about this?

David

On my numeric keyboard, I wish I could use the period/decimal-point key on the keypad rather than having to look for the period in the qwerty section.

I quite like David’s suggestion.

+1