Suggestion to fix the right click menu-discuss

Lots of great ideas in C10 but the right click menu is not one.

The addition of text search for plugins is a feature that brought the biggest enhancement to time saving workflow in recent memory of Cubase enhancements

How about a right click opens a search box under the cursor. Typing the first few letters brings up function suggestions. Most used functions (learned over time) appear first.
Most used functions also get stored in one dropout menu

… thoughts

It wasn’t broken and it didn’t need fixing. The problem is attempting to convince Steinberg to backpedal on a bad idea and the time they will take if they actually do change it back or modify it to be customizable (which I personally would prefer).

Just once, I’d love to see Steinberg post a sticky along the lines of: We’re thinking of doing this…suggestions?”

What i don’t understand is, on the old context menu, menu items that where not applicable where grayed out.
It was still a mess of menu items, so a cleanup is a wonderful idea.
Why not just remove the menu items that are not usable, still depending on what is clicked.
Grayed out = removed from context menu.

Fair point. If features were going to be hidden away it should have been the most logical progression to simply hide the greyed out ones depending on context.

With the text search though I’m talking about a workflow enhancement too though, possibly. Autocad has this feauture

Context dependent right click menu is a good idea, but the way its been implemented is awful.
Bring back the tools selection and reinstate missing options.

I like the idea of a search box and most used commands in a list.
Would it be even better if you could put a checkmark or something at the side of a list of most often command and it was moved to a list of favorites commands?
Then you have a setup where you can sort your favorites in folders you can give your own names the way your brain works.
In the setup you can choose how many most often commands and how many favorites there should be in your list to keep the clutter down.
The more you use Cubase the more it learns how you behave and it becomes a cooperative effort between the program and the operator.
Everybody gets their own Cubase and if you don’t want to all you see is the most often commands that change over time. It’s up to you but it still works.
To keep the size of this down on screen, of course, keep the context-sensitive idea to only show commands that work.

Right click menu is a disaster,
needs to be fixed asap!

Worst one is the missing midi velocity menu and other midi menus, and ‘convert part to real part’

I agree many common things have gone that I use all the time. Transpose for one

Just looking at the right click menu in 9.5. I dont see greyed out functions that are not applicable on that menu?
Its fair to say though the a lot of the functions should not be showing up. For instance even though I right click in empty space its bringing up the process and plugins menu. So yes it was a good idea to remove those unless an audio file is currently selected.

I think the removal of the functions that are applicable to the arranging area with no files selected are ones sorely missed by me. Delete Time, Paste Time are two that come to mind.

Yes the cleanup was a little heavy handed IMHO
I would like to have a few back, a USER menu tree, where we could add our own prefered menu items, would be great.
But that would be a feature request, and a few years of waiting :slight_smile:

Yes to this and all “let us customize our own menu points” posts…

-years of waiting? → Should take something like 30 minutes to implement this code - even if one takes their time… :wink:

I think its a common misconception of how long it takes to program things properly, not break other things and go through testing phases unfortunately.

Suggestion: make the audio menu include all the audio functions that were there before - same with midi but
remove audio functions from midi menus etc

MIDI functions should show up when a midi part is selected… and it does do some of that now,

The main functions I’m missing are editing functions which did not depend on a midi or audio part being selected.
Functions like:
Delete Time
Insert Silence
Select from Cursor to end and all Select operations

They should be there when right clicking int he arrange window with no part selections

You are right. There is always that “factor X” :wink: - I am just trying to help us move forward… do not take anything I say as hostile btw, even if I am shouting in disgust of some silly decisions or whatever…:wink: - I am sure that every bug and limitation is there on purpose by the way… but shhh…:wink:
I will retract myself from this thread now…

good luck everybody in overcoming this little thing we call life… :wink: stay strong;)

You are right. There is always that “factor X” > :wink: > - I am just trying to help us move forward… do not take anything I say as hostile btw, even if I am shouting in disgust of some silly decisions or whatever…> :wink: > - I am sure that every bug and limitation is there on purpose by the way… but shhh…> :wink:
I will retract myself from this thread now…

good luck everybody in overcoming this little thing we call life… > :wink: > stay strong;)

No offences at all. The forum is a good place to let off steam, try to steer opinion on best way forward for the software we depend on to work each day and get solutions to issues. The right click menu is a minor problem in an amazing overall software environment. The things I can do now in 2 clicks took me 2 hours back in the 90’s (tuning, timing, looping, dynamic EQ). We live in amazing times and the right click in C10 is a microblip in context!

agreed.