Suggestion: Use of iCloud

I know this is very early to request…

But I think the use of iCloud and complete iCloud integration could be very beneficial.

I’m considering getting a laptop, just to use Dorico while away from my main computer. And I know I have access to iCloud Drive, but many of my apps such as Pixelmator, etc., work seamlessly with iCloud where all of your recent edits, etc., are always in one place. I can see big time savings in this. No longer emailing files to ones self to copy and paste changes, etc.

I’ve never really used iCloud Drive, as all my other apps have seamless integration, so I don’t know if iCloud Drive is the answer. But this is just a thought suggestion for future updates.

Using iCloud and iCloud sharing of files also allows for better collaboration as well, and might open up new areas in collaboration.

Robby

Personally I would not be happy with a proprietary solution for backing up to remote locations, unless it was unique to Dorico or Steinberg products and provided the same functionality to both Mac OS and Windows users.

Pixelmator can be part of Apple’s system because it only exists for Mac OS, and they have presumably used the API provided by Apple for the advanced stuff like edit history to be present, or that data is simply present in the saved Pixelmator files, in which case you can simply save your Dorico projects to the Apple service.

My preference would be that Dorico does nothing in this area, and I’ll use a remote storage service of my choosing.

I don’t see the need for a cloud solution for files; there are plenty of options out there for users, e.g. Dropbox.

What I would like is a cloud sync solution for settings, especially keyboard shortcuts. Adobe Creative Cloud offers a Sync Settings service, so my settings and preferences are always in sync between the machines my account is activated on. Given the likely need for keyboard shortcut customisation in Dorico because of international keyboard differences, a cloud sync service for this function would be very useful.

1 Like

I guess my thought would be that it wouldn’t be required, but to utilize it as an option.

I get that MS Windows doesn’t have the exact same thing. But if it’s possible, why disallow Mac users from a great feature that could greatly benefit work flow?

Robby

The Apple product does exist for anyone to use, Mac or Windows, just as Google Drive, and all the rest. Probably you can already do what you are asking without any action on the developer side.

I’ll also add, that I have used the iCloud integration with Pages (word processor from Apple), and it works incredibly well. Open document on iMac, then write, edit, etc. Save file (or in some instances not), close app, move to iPad, open document and continue right where I left off. Close app there, go to iPhone, and the same thing. Sit down at the Mac Pro, and everything is just in sync and works.

Once again, this could be a big benefit to Mac users (I know Dorico isn’t available on iPad and iPhone), switching between desktop and laptop and having perfectly in sync. And make this as an option, so if someone wanted to turn it off and use Dropbox instead, they could.

Robby

Steve,

You may be correct. I haven’t played around with iCloud Drive too much. I’ll give it a try when I get home.

Robby

I would not expect or ask the developers to implement features that are exclusive to one platform or the other.

don’t all cloud solutions just integrate as a mounted directory? what kind of other integration do you need besides just saving to the directory?

I somewhat can agree with that. It could be very taxing on the programmers.

My only reason for suggesting it, is because they are already implementing things on 2 OSs, which (if I understand) is already having to utilize certain OS specific resources. Such as how to recognize MIDI devices. Dorico (I believe) is accessing that information from the OS, and I would imagine there needs to be minor tweaks OS to OS on how that information is utilized. Now maybe these things are easy to implement, and maybe iCloud integration might be harder. But I thought that if they are already having to account for differences in OS resources, it just might be worth it.

Robby

We’d love to support every OS-specific feature on both Windows and macOS to make the best application we can, but in general we have to try and deliver equivalent, and ideally identical, functionality on all of our supported platforms. Windows has OneDrive, macOS has iCloud Drive, both platforms can use Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. I suggest you simply use your own cloud drive of choice and consider simply saving and loading your Dorico projects from there, at least for the short to medium term.

But according to What is iCloud for Windows? - Apple Support, you can’t use it on Windows unless you also have an Apple product of some kind.

(And the install instructions are talking about Windows browsers and mail apps that are legacy software in Win 10, if they still exist at all … not an inviting start!)

I bet Dorico eventually (maybe already?) will allow you to change the default folder directories so you’re able to save all your dorico files in a designated folder in your iCloud, Dropbox or whatever without any navigation involved.

Side note: I have been thinking about another feature that would be really convenient, regarding mobile files. I switch setup a lot - from the multi-monitor computer in my studio to my tiny laptop. I’d love to see that my dorico files remembered independent settings for both computers when it comes to screen management and maybe also sound configuration. (I don’t have dorico on both computers yet, but I imagine this could be really helpful).
This could be implemented through a option in the preferences where you give your computer an unique name.
(This is of course more a dream for the future than what I want the Dorico team to focus on right now)

1 Like

The new Sierra OS automatically uploads the contents of your documents folder to iCloud, so as long as your Dorico folder is located in your documents folder, you can access your scores from your other Apple computers and continue where you left off - just like Pages, Numbers etc.