Sustain CC implementation issue

Hello,

I’m finding issues with the handling of sustain CC. If in play and sustain is “on”, pressing stop will not terminate the sustain. The same goes if muting a track while sustain is active. I’m sure there are other use cases that highlight this issue, but i did not go out of my way to find them.

If this is not already fixed or scheduled to be, please add it to the list :slight_smile:

Cheers

Hi Nenox,

I order to investigate on your issue, could you provide us with more info about your setup and a step by step repro?

Thanks!
RG

I wonder what has remained unclear from the description that it would necessitate a step by step repro?

Sure,

First you need a midi part, where recorded notes are “held” by sustain (CC64=127).

If in play and playback is terminated while the sustain pedal is on (CC64=127), a sustain pedal is off (CC64=0) message is not sent out, causing any notes affected by the sustain CC to “hang”, while the rest of the music has stopped. This also happens if you mute the track of the part during playback.

IAA instruments and external MIDI devices are affected, but the internal synth and GM player, do not seem to be.

Hope this is helpful, else let me know.

Cheers

Here is my setup

Cubasis 1.9
iPad Air 2, ios 8.1
Steinberg UR44
Yamaha S90es

Hi Nenox

I check it with the steinberg Nanologue iAA synth, you can download for free.

And it works here with Nanologue as expected.
It’s not a problem to record sustain CC data ( on/ off ) on a midi iAA Nanologue track.

Please, test it with Nanologue.

If the sustain works as expected with Nanologue in your Environment,
it looks like that the problem is caused by your iAA Instrument.

Wich iAA you are using ?

best
jan

Hi Jan and thanks for your message.

“It’s not a problem to record sustain CC data ( on/ off ) on a midi iAA Nanologue track.”

I have not had a problem recording sustain CC. The problem is that CC64 on is not turned off on playback stop, causing notes to hang.

I’m not sure which IAA instrument I saw this behavior on, but all/any I tried for sure. I’m In the process of upgrading to iOS 8.3 right now, so can’t re-test currently. In any case it should work with MIDI to an external device. In this case a Yamaha S90es connected through a Steinberg UR44 (both your products) and it doesn’t. This was consistent with the IAA behaviour I saw.

Once I’m up and running I’ll try to re-produce the issue with some IAA instruments as well and let you know one I can re-pro with. I’ll try with Nanologue as well.

Cheers

Ok, so testing this and finding a pattern was a bit more involved than I had imagined. But here goes…

Pressing stop while in play:
Work correctly for Micro Sonic and Micrologue.

Works correctly with “any” IAA instrument as long as:
The part is on an IAA instrument track
The IAA instrument is receiving on channel 1

Does not work correctly if:
IAA instrument is being played from MIDI track
Part is on an IAA instrument track, but IAA instrument is not set to receive on channel 1, so the routing setting of the track have been set to send the midi to the correct channel…

Does not work correctly if:
Playing from a midi track to an external MIDI device (EG. S90es)

Muting Track while in play:
I was not able to test this for Micro Sonic and Micrologue, as when muting the track the audio seems to simply get muted, but the instrument plays on in the background. The same seems to be the case of an IAA instrument track. Is this not a questionable design choice, for a platform as resources challenged as an iPad? (I’ll start a new thread about this topic)

Otherwise, behavior as above.

Muting part while in play:
Does not work for any instrument or MIDI target. To be fair this behavior is consistent with Cubase, but maybe still not desirable?

Testing it:
By mistake I had turned the MIDI input option off in Nanologue, so it did not show up in the list of avaliable MIDI targets, in Cubasis routing. Thus I was not able to test any of the above with Nanologue. So maybe avoid it for testing, but go with something like iGrand Free and any the external MIDI equipment I hope you’ve already have hooked up for development and testing :wink:

Hi Nenox,

<Does not work correctly if:
<IAA instrument is being played from MIDI track
<Part is on an IAA instrument track, but IAA instrument is not set to receive on channel 1, so the routing setting of the <track have been set to send the midi to the correct channel…

what you mean… ?

<Does not work correctly if:
<Playing from a midi track to an external MIDI device (EG. S90es)

confirmed in cubasis 1.9 and Motif ES 8 > CB 2269

<Muting part while in play:
<Does not work for any instrument or MIDI target.

confirmed in cubasis 1.9, issue CB 2270

thanks for the info
best jan

"<Does not work correctly if:
<Part is on an IAA instrument track, but IAA instrument is not set to receive on channel 1, so the routing setting of the <track have been set to send the midi to the correct channel…

what you mean… ?"

Hi Hiltman,

Yes a bit cryptic :slight_smile:

Does not work if IAA instrument is assigned to a MIDI or Audio track, but the notes playing the instrument are coming from a different track.

Does not work if IAA instrument is assigned to a MIDI, where the notes playing the instrument are coming from a part on the instrument track itself and the instrument is not set to receive on channel 1 (so the tracks routing options have been used to send the notes to the correct channel).

Not sure that made it any clearer, I’m finding it hard to explain in any elegant way. In part I think it gets confusing, because of Cubasis MIDI implementation (which I find a little strange). I’ll be happy to do a video demonstrating the whole thing, in which case, please let me know.

Many thanks for looking into this :slight_smile:

Same issue here with IAAs and external gear. I thought I was going nuts… Let me know if you need more testing or specs from me. I’m running two different Cubasis rigs, same behavior.

1. Create a MIDI track
  2. Record a note at beat 1 and hold down the sustain pedal until measure 3
  3. Stop recording, rewind to the beginning
  4. Press play, then press stop at measure 2

Expected behavior: Transport sends a Sustain Off (CC64 value 0) on stop
Actual behavior: Note continues to sustain indefinitely

I’m also seeing this in Cubase Pro 8 (this thread is the first result in Google)