Sustain pedal lane - make it behave like in Cubase 5 (on and off)

Is it possible to make the sustain pedal lane behave like the one in Cubase 5 (just on and off)?
I don’t want this.

I want this:

1 Like

Hi,

Unfortunately this is not possible. Todays Digital Pianos are using multiple Sustain Pedal Layers, so it makes sense to use the continuous data.

If you want to see only 0 127, use Macro of two Logical Editors, please:
1:

Filter Target
( Type is | Equal | Controller | And
Value 1 [MIDI Controller No.] | Equal | 64 | And
value 1 [MIDI Controller Value] Bigger or Equal | 64 )

Action Target
Value 2 | Set to fixed value | 127

Function
Transform

2:

Filter Target
( Type is | Equal | Controller | And
Value 1 [MIDI Controller No.] | Equal | 64 | And
value 1 [MIDI Controller Value] Less | 64 )

Action Target
Value 2 | Set to fixed value | 0

Function
Transform

In fact, you could use these as 2 Logical Editors as Input Transform Modules too. So you would already record only 0 and 127 values. Which would solve the recording use case, but not the drawing use case.

Actually even Portamento On/Off (MIDI CC65) is handled as continuous controller. I wouldn’t expect this, because the name say clearly On/Off and there cannot be any value in-between. At the other hand, the MIDI Specification specify all these MIDI CCs as continuous, so any vendor can use the CC for it’s own purpose as continuous controller.

1 Like

As Martin posted, a macro of the LE works perfect. At least my macro I wrote works and I’m pretty sure it’s similar to Martins.

May I ask the brand and model of your Keyboard and sustain pedal please? What kind of pedal do you use?

I’m not convinced this issue is just “Digital Pianos are using multiple Sustain Pedal Layers.” I own a Studio Logic VMK-188+ and if you could see the output of cc64 I think you would think the same as myself. There is something wrong with the VMK-188+. When I use another keyboard controller I get more clean results. Also there is a difference between a pedal that has only on/off and other more elaborate pedals.

Hi,

StudioLogic is a MIDI Controller, so it just sends MIDI data. It depends on the sound generator, if it offers multiple layers of the Sustain Pedal sound, or if the sound generator takes it as On/Off switcher only. My point was, for some sound generators (mostly pro-digital pianos) it’s important to send the continuous data, not On/Off only, because these instruments can handle it and really change/play the sound accordingly.

2 Likes

Pedal: Korg Keyboard Footswitch Foot Switch Pedal 93 by Fatar Made In Italy
Looks like this:

Piano: Korg SP-200
Looks like this:

Hi,

The Damper Input is always switcher only.

1 Like

Thank you
I’m quoting myself because what I wrote isn’t correct.

I think I have used too many pedals over the years. And too many keyboard controllers.

What Martin said is correct. No matter what type of “sustain pedal” I plug into my VMK 188+, I will get multiple nodes as described instead of on…127 or off…0. I trust Martins LE patch worked for you? I use a LE patch to get rid of these bad sustain points every day!

The odd thing is that I don’t remember this bad sustain behavior happening on my prior keyboard controllers…an Oberheim MC3000 that to this day I regret selling. And a beautiful CME VX8 that had it worked as designed, wold have been the ultimate of keyboard controllers.

The pedals I used for todays test was a M Audio SP2. The other 2 sustain pedals which I think are more basic are Ensoniq FSW-2, and a PS 100. (not SP) Both of these look the same as your korg pedal.

And fwiw, any pedal I plug into a hardware synth routed to Cubase, is only going to show midi on or off…nothing in between.

Hi,

The continuous input is marked as Expression Pedal or sometimes Continuous Pedal. Also the pedals, which can send the continuous data, are named Expression Pedals and they look like a Guitar Expression Pedal.

Yes.

You and me both (thanks to Martin’s valuable solution). @Martin.Jirsak
I

Electronically speaking, they don’t send anything (at least, not like in a dynamic microphone case).
But it’s very good to know that a pedal that usually goes to a damper input, can also be connected to an expression pedal input.

Really, if your objective is to just eliminate sustain nodes other than 0 or 127, meaning on or off,

you only need 1 very simple LE macro which is attached.

I have attached an example of my sustain pedal before applying this macro.

2 Likes