Sustain pedal panning track 1 right

Hello. Working in Cubase 11 pro and my sustain pedal is causing trouble. The sustain works as it should and records etc but……
On track 1 only, when I press the sustain pedal it sustains as usual but pans the sound hard right. This only happens on track 1. I am really new to Cubase so if somebody could explain step by step I would be extremely happy as it’s driving me around the bend.

Thank you.

Hi and welcome on the forum,

Make sure, you don’t use the MIDI Device as an input in the Studio > Studio Setup > Generic Remote, Quick Controls or any other remote device, please.

Hi thanks for your reply. I’m sorry but I’m an absolute newby and don’t understand. Can you advise exactly where to look and what to look for ? Thanks again for your help

What @Martin.Jirsak was suggesting is to be sure that you don’t have any control definition related to a panner in Cubase that could react to the message your sustain pedal is sending (usually : channel 1 - CC 64), in these window panels, accessible with the following menu and options sequences :

• Studio>Studio Setup>Track quick controls
  • Studio>Studio Setup>VST quick controls
  • Still in the Studio>Studio Setup window, eventual Generic Remote definitions panes active and using the same MIDI Port as your sustain pedal.

To check this quickly, I would set all these as Not Connected in the MIDI Input drop down List (top of each pane) and see from there if there is still an issue related to the panner with your sustain pedal usage.

Sorted. Thanks for your help.

Steve

I’m late to this party, but I have the same problem - sustain pedal panning right on Ch 1 (Elements 12). In Studio Setup I have selected Not Connected for the Generic Remote, the Track Quick Controls and the VST Quick Controls as you suggest. I only have the Mackie HUI connected to my Arturia keyboard and audio interface, yet the problem persists. Have I misunderstood something in your reply? What else can I try? How did you manage it, @Stetudou ?

Do you have the same issue when the Mackie HUI device is set as Not Connected for the MIDI input ?

No. The connection being removed, no pan data is received. For info, a Midi Monitor (correctly) reports that CC#64 being received when the pedal is depressed.

Confirmed ! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

To test this, I have disabled my MIDI Remote scripts and set to Not Connected my Generic Remote definitions, before adding and activating (MIDI Input set to my first available MIDI port) a Mackie HUI device. Results in the MixConsole :

Before pressing my sustain pedal (connected to my VMK-188+ keyboard,; which transmits messages to Cubase via my first MIDI port on a DIN connector) :

C12_MackieHUI_Idle

After having pressed the pedal :

C12_MackieHUI_AfterCC64

FWIW, the first track (“Guitars”) of this test project is a group one, to which the three other tracks have their output connected. If I remove this track, it’s the “SM57” one that is affected : something seems fishy with the Mackie HUI device definition… :thinking:

@Martin.Jirsak : could you test this on your end and eventually report it ?

Hi,

Do you mean the Sustain controls the panner when send via Mackie HUI?

Exactly… :neutral_face:

Hi,

I don’t know Mackie HUI as much as Mackie Control fun top of my head and I can’t check the specification right now, but isn’t Mackie HUI specified like this (CC64 controls panorama of Channel 1 of the given Bank; then probably CC65 controls panorama of Channel 2…)? Then of course, if you send CC64 value 127, it sets the Pan to the right (R), as the maximum value.

Hi again, Martin

It could be, but where can we check that ? In the Mackie HUI device definition pane, I see only two buttons (Audition and Window/Alt), with no commands associated to them. So, I guess that the HUI protocol and the commands associated to it are visible somewhere else.

Beside this, I have just checked the HUI Reference Guide and there is no commands table or list in it. There isn’t any in Steinberg Remote_Control_Devices.pdf either…

Hi,

Thanks for this! It’s written here… Page 28: Specification: Continuous Controllers 40-4C (it should be written 0x40-0x4C) V-Pots.

That means, MIDI CC64 (0x40) is controlling V-Pot 1, which is assign to the Pan of Channel 1 by default (same as Mackie Control). So if you send MIDI CC64 Value 127, you get Pan-Right.

The fix is to set your MIDI Keyboard so it seems the Sustain Pedal via other MIDI Port but the one which is in use to control DAW. The MIDI Keyboard should use the same MIDI Port (for the Sustain Pedal), which is in use for the keyboard itself.

1 Like

I neglected the MIDI Implementation Chart, as I was expecting a longer list… :blush:

And indeed, 0x40 = 64. So, it’s the HUI protocol itself that is the culprit. Just hope that @RalphNT will read this and be able to reorganize his setup accordingly…

1 Like

Thanks Martin and Cubic13. It’s not ideal but I have managed a workaround using the settings as shown in the pic, and by not using Channel 1 on the DAW.

1 Like