Sustain Pedal Plays a Note

Cubase EL AL Elements 9 user here.
I have my piano (Yamaha YDP-S30) connected to my laptop (running Windows 10) via midi-to-usb cable.

The Yamaha has 3 pedals, and each time I set a new Instrument track, regardless of the instrument I choose, when I press any of the pedals, a note is played. I want to fix the sustain pedal in particular, because I don’t need the other 2. When I press the sustain pedal it plays E3, instead of just sustaining the note(s) I’m playing. I did a lot of research and couldn’t find an answer to this. Please help

All I can tell you is that something, somewhere is converting your sustain pedal MIDI data (which is in fact CC#64 with a value of 127 for “on”), into note-on data (E3 is MIDI Note #64).
So check that your Yamaha isn’t converting it at source (I don’t know that keyboard, sorry).
As regards Cubase elements, I don’t see where it could be being converted from there (although quite possible in bigger versions of Cubase :confused: )
(Afterthought)…
You could try going into the Devices menu>Device Setup>Remote Devices>VST Quick Controls, and see if CC#64 is being used for anything (in the column “Address”), and either change it to something else, or set the QC MIDI Input to “Not Connected”.

I checked, it’s not being used for anything. I have another DAW software which occurs to show the same problem. I used Midiox to analyze the data, and this is what I got just from pressing the pedal and releasing it.

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
00002A08 1 3 B0 40 38 1 — CC: Pedal (Sustain)
00002A2D 1 3 90 40 7F 1 E4 Note On
00002B69 1 3 90 40 38 1 E4 Note On
00002B79 1 3 90 40 00 1 E4 Note Off

If It behaves the same in another DAW, then it must be being transmitted like that from your Yamaha.

I read the whole yamaha manual… No clue how to fix that. Is there a way to fix this problem through the pc? Midi mapping or something?

The problem there is that it would also do so even when you deliberately play the note E3.
But I really have no idea what to suggest as regards your Yamaha… seems such a strange thing for it to do. Does it have a Global Reset function?

Found a solution and the reason which causes the issue.

First of all: The issue is the cable.
Solution: Buy a good quality cable (Roland UM-ONE for instance)

I know this sounds weird, but it is. I had a chat with Kawai regarding it. It’s a known problem.

So this is whats happening:
In MIDI Language
E4 is a 90 40 and in binaercode it’s 10010000 01000000
the pedal is B0 40 in MIDI and in binaer 10110000 01000000

As you can see, it’s quite similar. The guys from Kawai told me, it’s the software/controller of the cable which is causing this issue, because it’s not able to transfer the MIDI Data correctly to the computer. This makes the computer switch the 1 with a 0 sometimes, and results in playing E4 instead of the pedal.
If you have this issue, you probably have an issue with the G4 as well (MIDI 90 43) and the Pedal which is - (you guessed correctly) B0 43

Hope this helps, for me it did.

best regards

That helped… After a few weeks, I got tired and bought Yamaha UX16 midi cable, which was like 60£, but I’m glad I did. I installed the original driver from yamaha’s website and I don’t have the problem anymore.

Cool that the UM-ONE is the solution. I had a good experience with it too.

Making a little reference for midi interfaces I forward EMU as one brand.
What I like about it is that is needs not specific drivers - it is class compliant(at least on windows, cannot swear by Mac OS).
And making a loopback test - it was faster than RME internal card midi interface. Just play back midi and record on another track.

Make a simple loopback is possible with femail connectors style, and standard midi cable. Style with mail connectors more complicated.

EMU Xmidi 2x2 - been perfect all the way. Two femail connectors in and out, for standard midi cables.
EMU Xmidi 1x1 - two mail connectors, needing extension cord if needing longer cable. Sometimes disconnect itself in a session, but thanks to Cubase sensing ports remove and insert again fixes it. Seems be go better if external equipment is turned on when Windows boot.