Swing Tempo Marking

How one earth do I simply add something like the screen shot below at the beginning of the piece? I am not interested in playback, I just want students to know that it is swung in this way. Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 13.58.08

Metrico or MusGlyphs font.
c.f. here.

Thank Derrek. Am I right in thinking that I have to purchase this to accomplish something that I should be able to do in the Dorico software? If so, after purchase, how do I use this in Dorico please?

Nick, did you check out the link for MusGlyphs? The fee is voluntary, and the intro includes a video and additional explanation how to use the font. If you should run into further difficulties, @dan_kreider , who created the font, would no doubt be able to offer you advice here on the forum.

1 Like

Hello,
I have Metrico and MusGlyphs.
With Metrico :

Install by right clicking on the font file, this will install it in Windows/Font
In Dorico, select a note and create a default text with the Metrico font and type ee=3qe

In case of modification in a Dorico file, save and restart the computer otherwise the exported PDF is defective

Thanks for this help Jean Pierre and Derreck. Must useful.

It’s a reasonable complaint. There have always been apparently inexplicable omissions in Dorico but the good news is that it usually means a really thorough implementation is on its way. Hopefully it’ll be dealt with in Dorico 4.

I realise that in the grand scheme of things it’s still a young product. My main frustrations are getting good search results from the manual (as in the above example for instance). I admire and applaud the Dorico team for their commitment and dedication to Dorico and us end users. One of my biggest frustrations as somebody who works with tablature is the lack of independent control of the staves. I can’t display staccato marks on the tab stave but then I can’t’ hide 1/4 bends on the notation stave which kind of makes the page cluttered. I’d personally like a lot more control over what can be shown and hidden in future updates.

If you ever struggle to find something in the manual, you’re always welcome to share that experience. I’m always interested to know what exactly users are searching for, i.e. the terms and ways of describing things.

The manual has to use consistent language within itself, but obviously music notation is a broad family. There are already lots of extra keywords in the online manual especially to support alternative terms, and in-house there are many more that have been added as part of in-progress authoring, but as I said I’m always open to hearing more.

Likewise if there isn’t yet a direct link between two topics that would really help someone in a specific situation - hearing genuine use-cases helps improve that too.

(Unfortunately for things the manual doesn’t handle natively, there is a reasonable chance that the manual won’t return good results because we tend not to document the things Dorico doesn’t do. In this example, the closest page is this one.)