Switching Elicenser

Hello,

I’ve purchased a new E-licenser USB because my old one was falling apart. How can transfer all my licenses to the new USB?

Thanks!

Does the old one still function, even though it is “falling apart”? If so, it is simply a matter of plugging in both and dragging ‘n’ dropping from one to the other in the eLCC app.

If the old one is actually dysfunctional, you will need to investigate the Zero Downtime policy.

For future reference, it’s not a bad idea to put a few wraps of electrical tape around your USB-eLicenser as a precautionary measure. They are indeed not the sturdiest pieces of hardware in the world.

1 Like

Yes it is still functional so I will try that! haha, thats exactly what I have going on right now is some black electrical tape holding the old one together. Can the license be active on both so I can keep the old one as a backup?

Thank you,

Also, what are the pros and cons of using the “softElicenser”? hadnt ever seen that option before. If am always working on the same machine should this be the way to go?

Thanks!

No, you can only have one dongle for one license. In other words, you are transferring the license instead of copying it. The license cannot be active on both.

If it is still functional, the old one could possibly be used as a “backup” in case you ever needed to use Zero Downtime.

Unfortunately, there is no way to transfer a license from the USB-eLicenser to the Soft-eLicenser. In fact, many Steinberg products require the USB hardware dongle. For example, Cubase Elements can be activated to a Soft-eLicenser while Cubase Artist and Pro can only use the USB. You can transfer from Soft to USB, but not the other way around.

As far as pros and cons go, there is a countless supply of forum topics arguing for and against both.