Symbols attached to side of notehead

Hello!
There are many default symbols (playing techniques, ornaments, etc.) that attach themselves to the side (usually right side) of the notehead. For example, jazz articulations (bends, scoop, falls, etc.).

Is there a way to create a custom symbol (maybe a playing technique?) that attaches to a side of the notehead?

If I create a custom playing technique, the only options I have are on top or down the notehead, or on top or down the stem. I tried also creating a custom notehead with the symbol attached to it; that sort of worked out, but when using ledger lines, they extend to the symbol and look horrible.

Dorico provides dedicated features for jazz articulations that attach to the sides of notes, and you could if you wanted to replace one of the symbols used there if you’re not going to use it in your project via the Engrave > Music Symbols dialog.

I have the same question. I would like to create a jazz articulation that is commonly used at phrase-endings when a quarter note is followed by a skip downwards to a pair of eight notes, e.g. d - b - c, sounding closely like bah -hja-dat.

The articulation is referred to as “flip” or “turn”. In the jazz articulation there are symbols labelled as flip and jazz-turn, but they do not look right to me.

However, when I go to Library->Musical Symbols to replace one of them I do not find any of them. Entering flip or turn into the search field does not bring up any result. This may be partly because I use the german version and the list of musical symbols is using the localized terms, but even scrolling through the whole list I wasn’t able to locate any of these symbols.

They must be somewhere becaus I can click on them in the jazz-articulations panel and they are attached to the selected notehead.

Where can I edit these symbols?

You can’t edit those symbols directly in Library > Music Symbols, I’m afraid. Your best bet is probably to set up a custom playing technique via Library > Playing Techniques instead.

Hi Daniel, I already tried that. I create the desired technique as Glyph. When I click on the pencil icon to edit it, I can move the symbol around to create a horizontal offset, which in my expectation should then place any newly created symbol to the side of the notehead I attach it to.

But obviously this does not happen. It always gets centered on top. Of course I can move it around in engraving mode, but what is that offset for anyway?

UPDATE: I was able to replace the glyph for “Doit - long” by my desired glyph. So now the question is: Why can I edit some jazz-articulation but some others not?

The offset is really for the second glyph that you add, in a playing technique that includes more than one glyph. The overall playing technique will always be centred on the notehead.

Thanks. I figured that out and was able to “trick” dorico by placing a space as the first glyph and then adding my desired glyph with a large offset. Unfortunately though playing techniques will always go outside the staff and also do not shift the following note to the right, so there would always be manual editing in engrave mode neccessary.

However, I found another solution (I edited my previous post, but as you answerded to that in the meantime I repeat it here):

I was able to replace the glyph for “Doit - long” by my desired glyph. This works fine, as it is attached to the notehead. But now the question is: Why can I edit some jazz-articulation but some others not? I am sacrificing the long doit, which I actually might need some time, while there is another jazz articulation sitting around that is supposed to be used exactly for my use-case, but simply uses a glyph I do not like.