Sync issue with a syncstation

Hello,

I need some help to figure out a problem between Nuendo (10.2 & 10.3), a Syncstation and a PC running Mosaïc (a dubbing software).

The PC follows the Machine Control send by Nuendo to Syncstation. When I press start, the PC starts. Then it sends a TC to Nuendo, which is supposed to follow the incoming TC. But Nuendo starts, and stops after less than a second.

Nothing changed in the setup. I can’t check with my laptop as the Syncstation driver from Steinberg doesn’t install on my MacBook Pro (a Catalina issue probably).

Here are some screenshots :

Fixed ! The com ports of the PC which run Mosaic had to be set to 1ms of latency.

Have done a lot of dubbing and ADR with Mosaic, but business has shifted here, so it has been a long time.

So it seems like Mosaic is still using that stupid, unworkable RS422 protocol???
Really?
A decade ago pushed them to implement Midi Sync; that would make their application 100% cheaper and more accurate.
I bet they are also still using Quicktime as vehicle …

The French software developers (Except for Yvan that is …) have learned nothing and it looks that they are just lazy.
Look at what happened to Synchronos.

Stupid. Stupid.

Fredo

Yes, and Syncstation is still using 32bits drivers which aren’t usable with Catalina. Better look to what doesn’t work at Steinberg before speaking about French devs. Have a look at this forum, everything seems to work like a charm in Nuendo.

Thanks Fredo for this interesting post !

Jean-Michel,

You took this the wrong way.
First of all, I agree that the Syncstation drivers are outdated. And this should be fixed. No question about that.
But my comment is not about Syncstation and/or bugs in Nuendo.
(By the way, Steinbergs has a bunch of French developers working, among them the Lead Developer …)

I am just shocked to learn that nothing has changed/moved with the “doublage” applications; and these are only available in France.
The fact that they are still using RS422 as sync method for an application is not really “being in sync technology”.
Long time ago I gave Didier the Midi-sync specifications and begged him to implement it.
Imagine how much easier it would be to sell Mosaic if users didn’t need a Colin Broad RS422 box and a Syncstation to get it working.
That doubles the cost of Mosaic.(Which was then a whopping 4k)

I offered the Noblurway people all the help they needed to streamline their applicaton and to get in Sync (pun intended) with Nuendo.
The only thing that came out of it was their .cvs export. (Thank God for that …)

Anyway, my apologies if I offended you, that was not my intention.
Here’s a way to (maybe) solve your problem.

-So you are syncing a Windows computer to your main Mac machine, correct?
Can’t you use Syncstation in Standalone mode, and feed the machine an LTC timecode? (Using the Nuendo Timecode generator)
Mosaic will be in full Slave mode, but I think that should work.

Can I ask you a question?
It has been a while since we used Mosaic over here, although we have two Studio Licenses.
Our main problem is that we can’t route Mosaic into our Video network router.
We need Mosaic on at least 3 TV’s/projectors). (Talent, Directeur de plateau and engineer)
When confronted with -and converted to- 30Hz (which is SDI), Mosaic is hoplessly out of sync, unless we fiddle with the screen resolution. (1280x720)
How are you getting your Mosaic-signal into a Tv-chain?

Best regards
Fredo

1 Like

Fredo,

You took this the wrong way.

I don’t really know how I could took :

The French software developers (Except for Yvan that is …) have learned nothing and it looks that they are just lazy.

Anyway, my apologies if I offended you

Thank you.

Didier sorted out our issue.

Imagine how much easier it would be to sell Mosaic if users didn’t need a Colin Broad RS422 box and a Syncstation to get it working.

I can easily imagine how easier it would be. And I agree with you that in 2020 we could expect syncing in MTC without a Syncstation. I see that you tell Didier about this possibility, we will speak to him about that.

-So you are syncing a Windows computer to your main Mac machine, correct?
Can’t you use Syncstation in Standalone mode, and feed the machine an LTC timecode? (Using the Nuendo Timecode generator)
Mosaic will be in full Slave mode, but I think that should work.

Yes, we could. But in fact, that’d not have fixed our problems as it was an issue on the PC.

Can I ask you a question?
…/…

Of course, we feed a projector and a screen through a Lindy HDMI Matrix. The screen has the video from Nuendo, and the projector from the Mosaic in 1280/720 @ 120Hz.

Best regards.

I see. So you have the same problem we have; that you need to use 1280/720.
While you talk to Didier, please ask 'em to add Blackmagic support …
:slight_smile:
And tell 'em I said hello.

Fredo

Pure frustration on my part.
Having tried to help the Synchronos people sort out their problems only to see that they don’t care about anything but invoicing.
And then seeing that the only other application is more or less on a standstill for years …

But indeed, no excuse to be rude.
Apologies again.

Fredo

I warmly accept your apologies. I can understand your frustration, it’s a usual situation when using softwares (even hardware), we wait for answers without ever being satisfied. I’m still waiting for an answer from Steinberg about 64bits drivers for Catalina. I’m afraid the answer will not be very satisfactory.

I’ll call Didier for the Midi implementation. Maybe…

I hear that a new driver is in the works!

Fredo

For the Syncstation ? Yes there is, I’ve been told a few days ago.

Hello,

we have just released new drivers for the SyncStation in 64-bits that support macOS Catalina and also Big Sur. You can download here:

All the best,

Thank you Luis !

If you are looking for just an approximate sync (which Mosaic seems to be about), then, of course, MTC should be enough for semi-pro installations.
Yet, for professional A/V syncing you will still need a SyncStation, to guarantee sample-exact sync (so that timecode is broadcasted on the very same sample and video frame border every time you start playback). Then RS-422 is still unbeatable when it comes to routing over long distances and interoperability with video devices.
Maybe we’ll see future IP-based syncing solutions, which will cover both control and cost expectations, e.g. AES-70 / OCA.

May I point you to another issue I have with the SyncStation:

Do you experience the same?
Thanks, Andreas