Synchron Vienna Boys Choir and/or Basso Profundo choir

Hey, fellow Doricans!

Just curious if any of you use the Synchron Vienna Boys and /or Basso Profundo choirs from VSL. I’ve been very pleased with Synchron Prime; it works well with the Synchron template and NPPE. My concern is about how well they’d work in Dorico. They do have playback templates for each, but so does Olympus Elements-which I have- but I’ve found it to be unsatisfactory when using with Dorico. As the libraries are relatively expensive (for me), I’d appreciate any advice for those of you who may have used them.

IIRC the promo for the Vienna Boys says it has a range of two octaves. I hope I read that wrong, because that does not seem enough.

No idea about the quality of that library, but in case you weren’t factoring it in, VSL does have their 3+1 voucher sale going on right now. If the full Boys Choir library is €210, you can save an additional €50 by purchasing three €50 vouchers, getting one free, then applying all four for the purchase.

I don’t own either, but both libraries sound excellent and well recorded. The only complaints are from people who want more consonants or vowels, more of a wordbuilder-type thing.

Knowing VSL, I suspect they both would work well in Dorico directly. VSL is really good about that sort of thing. They also have a good return policy where you can decide something isn’t for you within I think it is two weeks of purchase. I’m not sure how that works if you use the voucher deal though.

I would get the Boys Choir myself if I actually needed it for something, and was in fact tempted to get it, but I just had a lot of expenses recently from Black Friday sales where I got the VSL Steinway full among other things from other vendors, and a month before that I got the complete Synchron Percussion bundle.

It will go on sale again for the same price next November for Black Friday 2024, if you don’t get it now. They always put new libraries released after December the previous year back to the intro pricing for Black Friday.

I think two octaves seems pretty good for a boys choir, to me. You can always expand the range a bit by dragging, it will transpose the outermost samples further.

2 Likes

I’m confident the only effect would be the amount of the refund you receive. If you pay less than full price and then return the product they will refund the amount you paid rather than the full price.

Right, but then the question becomes, can one actually refund the vouchers? Like if you buy vouchers just to get one library, and you return the library for a refund, can you then refund the vouchers? I imagine so but might be best to verify that. Otherwise you might end up with 200 Euro of vouchers instead of your money back.

OK. Good point!

@TheBen might be able to answer that question

It seems even a wide range for a boy choir, to me!

Paolo

1 Like

That would depend. If the Vienna Boy Choir includes voices in the alto range as well as in the treble range (which I would imagine happens when they do multipart music on their own on concert tours) then the expected range closer to an octave and a half in the VST would seem more useful.

The latest VSL for Dorico XP map library includes these, I believe.

To widen that, you’ll have to wait until they become men! It’s more than enough, and even a little surprising, two octaves.

1 Like

Like me! I’m sick and tired of large companies like VSL not being willing to invest in a single “proper” library with a phonetic wordbuilder. There are hundreds of choir libraries that can sing vowels (and some even manage a few phrases which can help to get a bit closer to realism) and they are all equally useless for anything other than “atmospheric” commercial music – which is admittedly the market they seem to be aiming for as opposed to people who actually write choral music.

At least EWQL have tried…

Having had my moan, at least the VSL vocal libraries have improved somewhat over the much criticised first efforts such as Vienna Choir. But I won’t be buying any of them.

1 Like

You will get your vouchers back, but as soon as you purchase vouchers it’s no longer possible to get your money back, if I’m not mistaken. Feel free to contact support at vsl.co.at, they know how these things are handled.
Btw, our Vouchers do not expire and you can combine them with any sale at any point.

2 Likes

having had my little gripe about VSL choirs, of course that is in no way a general indictment of the company. Quite apart from the generally solid quality of the instrumental libraries, the fact it’s often possible to try them out first and the refund and resale policy puts many competitors to shame. For chamber music or smaller ensemble, at any rate, it’s often still my vendor of choice.

Perhaps what’s needed is a Wordbuilder Consortium to figure out an technology that could then be licensed, because obviously it is Hard To Do.

Hey, it looks easy said like that!

Paolo

possibly, although of course text to speech itself is not hard in the least – I worked in support of IBM’s product which did just that over 25 years ago. The problem seems to be fitting it in with the music. But even that was done a long time ago by EWQL and there are other engines like Cantamus who do a better job within a set remit but are not, unfortunately available as VST’s. My guess is that calculations have been made by the likes of VSL, Orchestral Tools or Spitfire that there wouldn’t be enough return on the investment, not that it isn’t possible. But in a world overflowing with reasonably decent orchestral libraries, the relative absence of proper vocal ones sticks out like a sore thumb in my view.

1 Like

Thanks for all your thoughts. I’ll do some more contemplating.