Syncing two Similar tracks

Hi folks,

Quick question: how do I perfectly sync two similar tracks that start differently? I’ve tried Audio Alignment, but the phases don’t null. Even removing the silence at the beginning of both tracks didn’t do the trick. Plus, using the audio alignment tool creates artifacts and modifies the track.

Give it a try: import a track into Nuendo/Cubase, duplicate it to a new track, insert any amount of silence into the beginning of the second track, then bounce it. Attempt to sync them to achieve phase null.

The only solution I see is to manually align the tracks while zoomed in to the maximum.

Any ideas?

Do you think we could ask the Steinberg team to create a tool that snaps the WAV FORMS of the tracks to sync them? Perhaps by snapping the very beginning of the WAV forms.

I envision a tool that can detect the peaks in Track A (or utilize its own identifying elements) and automatically synchronize them with the peaks of Track B. This way, even if Track A and B have slight differences, not in tempo but in content (e.g., Track A is music, Track B is the same music with vocals), it can achieve a perfect 100% sync between both tracks.
Alternatively, we could enhance the existing Audio Alignment tool by introducing an option labeled ‘DO NOT TRIM OR RESIZE’. This feature would be designed to maximize synchronization between both tracks.

For instance, if Track B is shorter than Track A, this tool would explore multiple placement options for Track B. It would analyze both tracks to find the most suitable points of alignment, potentially offering multiple choices. This way, users could select the synchronization point that best fits their needs without altering the original content of the tracks, ensuring maximum flexibility and precision in the synchronization process.

That is what I have been doing forever. Have you tried Vocalign, but with other things, not vocals?

@noeqplease Thanks for the idea, I have Vocalign and the ARA extension, but as a first thought, it should work like the Steinberg Audio Alignment tool. I will try it today and will tell you :pray:t2:

1 Like