Synfire Cannot Be ReWired to Cubase 9.5.21

Cognitone Synfire (a composition tool) uses a ReWire device called “Transport” which is obviously a harmful name for Cubase 9.5.21. Enabling the “Transport” device in the ReWire Setup renders Cubase 9.5.21 unreliable. Although this device seems to be added to the menu (Studio->ReWire->Transport ReWire) it actually cannot be used since clicking on this item opens Cubase Transport panel instead of Synfire ReWire panel. Moreover, Cubase starts acting wildly when the user attempts to deselect (shut down) the Transport ReWire device. The following message appears:

and from this moment the Cubase Transport panel (F2) cannot be opened anymore so you are forced to restart Cubase. It looks like Cubase menu actions are mapped by strings which is a weird design, I suppose. Here is the original thread describing the problem on the Cognitone site:
http://users.cognitone.com/topic/synfire-pro-185-daw-transport-problem

This problem did not exist in Cubase 9.0.

Best regards

Miloslav

Hi,

Since Cubase 9.5 this part of menu changed. The Transport Panel should be in the Transport menu. The ReWire should be in the Studio menu (originally Devices). I would really wonder, if Cubase would recognise the function by the string in the menu (so it could change Transport ReWire by Transport Panel).

Could you try to rename Cubase preferences and try to add Transport ReWire into this Cubase version (preferences)? Is it reproducible then?

Martin, I thank you but I quite didn’t get what are you suggesting… I have installed Cubase 9.5 from scratch, I haven’t upgraded the installation from Cubase 9.0 so no preferences have been transferred.

In my opinion, the Synfire ReWire device name has been chosen inconveniently (“Transport” is too generic) but there is an obvious flaw on the Cubase side as well.

Best regards

Miloslav

Hi,

Might be, the Cubase 9.5 preferences become corrupted (it happens time to time), so I would really recommend to try with clean Cubase.

As I said, I can’t imagine, the function is called just by a menu item string name in Cubase.

As I said, I can’t imagine, the function is called just by a menu item string name in Cubase.

Well, actually it does exactly that. For an experiment, we renamed our ReWire plugin from “Transport” to “Synfire Transport” and that did the trick and solved the issue.

As you can probably understand, we are reluctant to renaming our products merely for the sake of working around a bug in Cubase. This might also entail the risk of breaking existing setups of our users.

But, most of all, this is probably also an issue for Cubase to be resolved. See my related post here:
https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=140334

No update on this issue so far?