system crashes after installing 10.5 pro latest version hot fix

Hi everyone,
I’m pretty new to Cubase after a 25 year break from using it, so please forgive me if i appear a little lost with most technical stuff.
I’m also a little basic when it comes to using computers and have pretty limited knowledge of computer literacy, so please bare with me here!

I’ve been using 10.5 pro for about 6 months and been learning my way round it without much of an issue with any of its features.
I decided this morning to update the version from the initial 10.5 pro to the latest version after seeing the update whilst in the hub. I haven’t had any issues with system related issues or program crashes etc but, decided to do the update to stay current anyway.

I also bought the T guitar VST for Halion as i wanted to use the features in my songwriting and was told it sounds excellent, which it really does! however, since performing the update to Cubase and installing the T guitar VST, I am having crashes whilst using the T guitar.

my system is far and above the maximum requirement for Cubase and as mentioned, i’ve never had issues before.

the problem seems to be with the update. Whilst playing around with the instrument and having a little jam, the cubase program stops responding and i get a continuous buzzing sound from the sound output?
The only way to stop the noise and recover the program is to use the windows task manager to end task and reload the cubase program.

Is anyone else having this issue? also is there a way to revert to the previous version of cubase to test the idea that it is the update causing it and not the VST?

Id really appreciate some help as this has ground my productivity to a halt at a time when music is the only thing keeping me sane! :unamused: lol

Hi and welcome,

Could you attach the crash/dmp file, please?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Hi Martin and thanks for your reply…
can you tell me where to find the crash files?

im not particularly up on computer literacy, which is probably half my problems haha…

Ok, managed to find the files needed, however cant find a way to attach them here to allow you to view?

Hi again Martin,

giving myself a crash course on the forum lol…

Managed to locate and attach the files at last.
A new issue is occurring now, the T Guitar VST is crashing.
Whilst using a pattern on the guitar and playing a few chords, the sound is now completely changing from a clean guitar riff pattern, to a singular distorted note?
the pattern will play as normal for around a minute or so and then crash to this singular distorted note.

i am beginning to regret updating to 10.5.12 and downloading the Tguitar VST!
i love what it can do, but the system instability its causing and the nightmares i’m having trying to write and record is really bringing me down in mood and of course productivity :cry:

any help you can give i would most appreciate.

my system should be able to perform these tasks without the possibility of overloading anything, CPU usage in playback of full tracks using 20 different VST instruments, loops and samples is roughly around 6%, so i’m failing to understand why these problems are occurring without it being down to the program files and the update, but i’m no expert!
hopefully you may be able to shed some light on this?

thanks for you help Martin
Cubase 10.5.12.123 64bit 2020.3.30 16.02.11.973.dmp (843 KB)
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2020.2.27 17.12.11.488.dmp (511 KB)

Hi,

THe crash is in Groove Agent SE.

Please, make sure, the latest Groove Agent SE is installed. You can install it from Steinberg Download Assistant. AS far as I remember, there is Groove Agent onyly, this will install Groove Agent SE too. If there is Groove Agent SE specifically, install the SE version, please.

Hi Martin, thanks for the reply.

I have to admit, i did have an issue with the groove agent aswell.

maybe i have sent the incorrect dump file.
I will install the groove agent again and see how things go from there but i wasnt using groove agent at the time that the crashes occurred with T guitar?

i will send the entire dump file so you can have a look if there are any related to the Tguitar VST if that is ok with you?

maybe there is a file i have missed out. i only included the files associated with the dates i remember having issues.

thanks again for your help so far, it is appreciated.

Hi,

Yes, please.

I will send all the files but i don’t seem to be able to upload more than 3 at a time?

so i guess it’ll be 3 or 4 replies
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2020.2.27 17.12.11.488.dmp (511 KB)
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2020.2.21 16.55.10.448.dmp (436 KB)
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2019.11.21 6.20.33.246.dmp (693 KB)

some more!
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2019.11.20 15.32.37.085.dmp (469 KB)
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2019.11.20 7.35.03.423.dmp (509 KB)
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2019.11.20 5.42.45.367.dmp (402 KB)

and finally!
Cubase 10.5.12.123 64bit 2020.3.30 16.02.11.973.dmp (843 KB)
Cubase 10.5.0.68 64bit 2019.11.17 12.34.25.036.dmp (491 KB)

Hi,

There is only one Cubase 10.5.12 (so the last update) DMP file. All other files are 10.5.0 crashes. Do I have resolved this only one Cubase 10.5.12 DMP file. The crash is in Groove Agent SE.

As I can see, you have the latest Groove Agent SE 5.0.20 installed.

Could you try to trash Groove Agent preferences, please? Quit Cubase and rename this folder, please:
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Groove Agent SE_64

Hi again Martin,

I didn’t have the licence for the latest groove agent 5, i had downloaded it believing it was a free update but deleted it again when i realized i didn’t have the licence, so reverted back to the version i already had.
I believed at the time this first started that it was down to the T guitar plug in and there was a small issue with it, however, since installing the update patch that was issued, the T guitar seems to be working OK, but the system crashes are still occurring and it is the whole cubase program that is locking up/freezing.
The odd thing is that it only seems to be happening whilst using T guitar and has also occurred with groove agent under high load (when using the drums at fast pace)
It seems to be an overload issue but i can’t understand why it would overload considering the system i am using as it is particularly capable of handling much higher speeds than anything that cubase could throw at it?

The thing that is bugging me also, is that this only started to happen after installing the cubase 10.5.12 hot fix update and the T guitar plug in.
I don’t see anyone reporting further issues with T guitar since the patch either, so i can only assume that it may be a bug with the new cubase update.

not sure what to do from here and its really frustrating because i have so much work to do as i am in the middle of producing an album and am halfway through releasing tracks which i hoped to do as an album, instead i am having to release a few singles because the system crashes are wrecking production and bringing me to a complete stop or causing me to have to use sounds that i don’t want because the ones i do want keep killing the system!

very frustrating indeed!

not sure what to do from here. as i am a complete computer dummy, i could do with some remote assistance but steinberg dont seem to want to do that without going through several steps that i don’t feel confident with doing and asking for information that as a PC dummy i can’t seem to find very easily or at all!

wishing that i had stayed on the original program and not updated anything as all it seems to have done is killed my enjoyment of the whole thing!