System overload? Mac + Dorico 3,5 + NotePerformer

Hi @bobmusic , thanks for the hint, but I believe Adrian’s is a different case. The kernel_task is really blowing up and using lots of cpu power. So it is something to the system or driver

Thanks, that made a big difference!

Computer fans still running high though…, but the CPU usage from Dorico app is much lower, see attached dumps. I think there’s something going on in my system. I got a nice troubleshooting help session with Ulf on Steinberg this morning. Will keep an eye on things.

Hi Ulf, I have read somewhere, that system overheating can cause that high kernel-task cpu load. Is that true?

BTW (side question)
I don’t have use of video track at the moment. But audio track would be interesting. This is something I used during my “Sibelius period” before I escaped to Dorico. I this possible at all? I didn’t manage when I tried recently. In Sibelius you add audio just as a video file.

Hi Bob, that might be, but in Adrian’s case the cpu overall load was just at about 25%. That should not heat up the processor that much.

Yes, you can do the same in Dorico, load a video that only contains your audio.
I tried that in combination with importing a tempo track, so that the notation follows the audio file, which was a live performance. But the audio always stopped at certain point and until now I didn’t get any further. I will have to investigate more into that…

Yes, same is possible in Dorico. But then you need the video engine again. To avoid the higher cpu load then, you simply open the video window and close it again.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll just continue without the engine for now, as it seem to ease CPU load, Dorico seem to work on approx. 30% usage and kernel_task keeps low. I’ll keep you updated. Thanks!

kernel_task isn’t a ‘real’ process, it’s a sum of all the things the kernel is handling. The OS can ‘bloat’ kernel_task as a means of cooling, by preventing other processes from getting a look-in. It’s not doing anything except hogging the CPU cycles.

So it’s not that overheating causes high kernel load, but rather that high kernel_task CPU% is a response to high temps.

(This is all because Intel CPUs are ovens, of course.)

Actually, that was what I wanted to say. Thanks for correcting this, Ben.

2 Likes