Tape saturation goodness!!

… ha ha good one ha ha i have to steel this its great haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
adult nappies indeed :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
thanks

@Crotchety !!
yes i will i am just going to bed now … but until i get online again after a few hours of Zzzzzzs
i will try to make sense out of my nonsense :wink:
ok its a trick i used once with the spl transient designer my buddy has it on his daw .
he used it for a pad once so i did a few tweaks and found a setting that worked quite well on a backing vocal…
so given that your BV track is one with long notes and not to many 8th or 16th note phrases…
this works like an expander…
1…the first knob on the TS you turn all the way off its like the the attack button …if you turn it to the right the sound gets snappy turn it to the left the sound gets washy ( err sorry about the description )
2 the knob underneath that or to the side … turn all the way to the right thus making the notes longer,
set the release to taste or long .
turn down the volume
3 the eq is optional , but i like to thin out the bottom and hi shelf the top above 6k by 3 to 6 db.
4 … routing … i like to use the same chain as a parallel compressor that way you can mix the two together
ie … have your Bv´s on a group track then make another group buss add the fx as i mentioned above pull the fader down all the way ., name this track/buss what you want then go to you BV group track , open up a send use that group track you just named , set it to pre fader . turn up the volume on the send to a high level . then use the fader to mix in the sound from the TS track you made …

the result is a strange type of vox pad thingy … i like to add another group track with gated reverb and possibly a flange effect also to widen out the dry signal…
just try it out … i guarantee you hours of fun :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i love just toying around with stuff … its all good fun and sometimes very creative and often just a mess :laughing:
have fun “Crotchety” :smiley:

Thanks, Tony. I understand what you’re doing now and will go and have some fun with it. Cheers, C

+1 Transient Shaper can (how surprising :wink: ) shape signals very well… specially for percussive stuff helps me every time on kicks toms and snare… great plugin :sunglasses:

LOL!!! Huge difference between cassette tape and 2 inch reel to reel which is what they are going for with the Tape Saturation feature. Two completely different things all together. LOL

If you guys like the way the TS feature sounds in Cubase you try the Universal Audio Studer A800 plugin. I use that thing on almost every single track. :wink: Its absolutely amazing.

And it makes mixing a snap (Less compression and less EQing). Love that thing!!!

Didn’t mean they sound the same. I was so fed up with anything related to tapes, that I didn’t want anything to do with them ever anymore.

How do you use that effect? What individual instruments you use it and what music style benefits the most of it? Master bus? And should the effect be heard or more like a “feel”, you would only notice it if you take it away etc?

I use it on just about every track vocals, synths, guitars, individual drum tracks, bass guitar. If you where recording back in the day, that’s what you used reel to reel 2 inch, and everything got track to it.

I personally wouldn’t put it on the master bus or an bus, its meant for individual tracks. Especially the Universal Audio Studer A800 plugin. Now if you’re talking about the Ampex ATR102 plugin which emulates the another tape machine, its a whole other sound. That plug I do stick on the drum buss often followed by an 1176 or the Neve 33609 or the Fairchild compressor depending on what sound I want on the drums for that specific song.

The Studer plugin emulates a tracking machine, the Ampex is a mixdown machine they are both tape but two different animals all together. I don’t bother with the TS that comes with Cubase its beyond sub par compared to the Universal Audio stuff. But if you’re going to use it I’d use it only on Individual tracks personally, but everyone is different.