Target value tempo accelerando etc.

Why only relatively? Where is the absolute value? Or will you add it for another 100 euros in Dorico 3?
TempoAccelerando.png

1 Like

I may be missing the point of the question, but that could apply to a lot of starting tempi hence the relative value.

My clear task is to gradually accelerate the tempo from 70 bpm to 150 bpm. Do I have to use a calculator every time to calculate the percentages? Delirium…

1 Like

Being able to input the end tempo in digits would be very helpful indeed.

Dear aveter (New member)
there is no point in introducing yourself with a rude question :wink:
It is possible that it just sound unfriendly - from translating 1:1 into English. Sorry if that is the case…
You will meet a lot if extremely helpful people in this forum, a lot of them users like you and me.
And one reason why everybody likes to help is the friendly and human attitude. You will get more and better answers that way, believe me :slight_smile:

Dear k_b!
I’m not asking how to do it, I’m asking why it’s not done!
Can you help me with my question? No. Then keep your pleasantries to yourself.
I don’t like to spend money on a program that doesn’t match its price. What may be a courtesy, if the program is missing basic functions? As Steven Paul “Steve” Jobs told his employees,“you made a text editor with no font choice.” I’ll ask the same question: “how did Steinberg make a music editor without a metronome and without setting the absolute value of accelerando?”

I agree with ReRei
and with k_b

Seems to me someone on the Team (was it Paul?) suggested this kind of tempo adjustment (with both linear and curved acceleration) was on the roadmap.

I may have misinterpreted Dorico 2. Graphical Tempo Adjusment. No Changes in Playback - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Whichever question you asked, your tone is decidedly rude in your reply to him and in your initial post. k_b was doing you a favor trying to coach you in how best to interact with this community. I could say you were coming off like an arrogant donkey, but I won’t, because that would be rude. Do you want to be part of this community, or do you just want to vent?

aveter, it was your choice to buy Dorico. Presumably you took advantage of the free 30 day trial and decided it was worth spending your money. If you’ve changed your mind, how’s that anybody’s fault but your own?

Correction: I see from one of your other posts that you didn’t take advantage of the free trial. Hopefully you won’t make this mistake in future.

In answer to your question “why isn’t it done” - like everything else that people feel is “missing” in Dorico, it’s because the development team are limited in size and have been limited in time - it’s relatively new software. They work ridiculously hard to introduce new features as quickly and as perfectly as they possibly can, and they prioritise the development of new features in order to help as many users as quickly as possible. Evidently cues/chord symbols/video scoring/divisi seemed more relevant to more people than a click and a gradual tempo calculator.

You may have noticed from the responses you’ve had thus far that people are not terribly sympathetic to new users that jump onto the forum with feature complaints. If you ask nicely for new features, your wishes may be granted. If you aggressively complain that something’s missing and demand to know how somebody could possibly release notation software without a particular feature, you a) irritate people and b) sail close to breaking the forum rules. I politely suggest you read them: Steinberg Forums

I do not write rude and not offend anyone, and write seriously. I want a normal software product. I think that with me, as with many users, acted dishonestly: the developers have ceased to support version 1.2, switched to version 2, bypassing 1.3, 1.4, 1.5…
I bought Dorico at the end of April, but I can’t work properly with version 1.2. Let them give me the money back and take their license. I will buy Sibelius 8 and will not be in this community.

I should say that I completely agree with your desire for the ability to enter a specific target tempo for accels and ritards.

I also am still waiting for features I consider important for what I do, though the version 2 upgrade brought a some nice new features.

When someone is kindly trying to coach you in how this forum community works, you might want to avoid phrases like “keep your pleasantries to yourself,” which apparently you don’t considered rude. I say this with kind intent.

dear aveter,
sorry, I did not want to steam you up…
I love that you are straightforward.
And actually I love that you avoid pleasantries when it is just a technical issue you are asking about.
Everybody here loves that you have the highest expectation to this software, because basically we all do.
You are a good guy. And us people already using the software are mostly too, so are the developers who you actually can also meet here.
I bet a 100% that your initial wish will be fulfilled :slight_smile:
It is a tough world ‘out there’, it quite often comes down to yes/no, give me/give me not. Everybody knows there is more to it, that’s probably why music exists…
Aveter, I was just thinking, if you - at one point - decide to come back to Dorico you could end up with a love affair. If one can use this metaphor with a software.
Anyway - enough of the pleasantries! - have a nice summer :four_leaf_clover:

If you’re using Dorico 2, you can set the end value for an accelerando in Play mode by dragging the right-hand point of the tempo to the desired final value, which is shown to you in quarters (crotchets) per minute.

Hello, Daniel!

Daniel, I’m a programmer with 15 years of experience, I also have a family, children (users write about you here) and I also need to feed my family, but I spent money for your product. You’re a smart, intelligent man. One of the main goals of Dorico is user-friendliness. Please answer my question. How fast and convenient it is to perform actions to set the absolute accelerando value during note input:

a) calculate the interest on the calculator based on the required absolute value;
b) spend another 100 euros for Dorico 2, go to the “play” tab, find the desired track, find the desired beat and set the point of the envelope of the tempo;
c) enter the required absolute value in the bottom panel.

If you choose the “c” option, please explain why you did not do the input field of absolute value? Where is the convenience of work? As a programmer, I know that adding a number input field and programmatically processing this value is no more than five minutes. If you choose “a” or “b”, you may not answer.

Thanks.

I’m sorry you’re so upset about the update cost for Dorico 2. You cannot currently specify the final tempo value of an accelerando in note input directly, in either Dorico 1.2 or in Dorico 2.

Hi everyone

I’m aware this thread is quite old, nevertheless I wanted to ask if the same applies to Dorico 3.5. Obviously it is not possible to enter a BPM value, but maybe there is a hidden feature that somehow the accelerando/ritardando could relate to the next tempo indication (as it is the case in Finale)?

Your best bet is to draw in an accel in the time track (play mode) using the line tool. Easy.

I just use my phone’s calculator to calculate the percent change.

But yes, it would be nice to be able to type in a target speed (and if necessary a starting M.M. value) and have Dorico do the calculation.

1 Like

5 years have passed. My god… :sweat_smile:

But yes, it would be nice to be able to type in a target speed (and if necessary a starting M.M. value) and have Dorico do the calculation.

You shouldn’t even have to type anything. Even MuseScore, that never cared about playback, allows you to simply drag the accelerando line to the next Tempo marking and everything else is calculated automatically.

Yes, you can drag the point in the time track, but there’s no reason to go to the Play view to do a completely unnecessary thing. And it’s not dynamic: if you change the target tempo indication, the accelerando will end up being wrong, and you may forget to adjust it.

1 Like