I’m going to jump in here because I’m having the same problem. I’ve spent approximately 7 hours over the past week trying to get this system up and running. My previous system was ProTools 7 with the Digirack 003, but I lost usability when I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit version.
Here’s the background to my problem:
I have a Tascam US-1800 with Cubase LE 5. I initially installed the Tascam drivers from the included CD, but when I couldn’t get any audio in, I downloaded the latest drivers from Tascam’s website.
Here are 5 screen shots of my set up: http://imgur.com/a/IEDWT. Please let me know if they’re hard to read and I’ll upload them one at a time.
I’ve read and followed the following pages: https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=191, https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=109, https://www.steinberg.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=10051. For that last page, at one point I installed the ASIO4ALL, but then couldn’t hear anything on my imported tracks.
I’ve made sure that all of my devices, soundcards, chips, etc have the latest driver version.
My work flow includes: Line 9 or 10 with Guitar button enabled, to my CPU, to http://imgur.com/a/IEDWT, then back to the Tascam, then to my monitors. I can hear the click track and any imported tracks, but can’t record anything.
When I have my mix set to input, I can hear the guitar come through, but nothing when set to computer. I’m thinking that I’ll have to grab a DI box and a XLR cable to see if channels one through eight might work. I’m also thinking about trying a demo copy of Reaper to see if I can get it working that way.
Otherwise, I’m looking for suggestions of other things to try or obvious oversights on my part. And if I get a working solution, I want to make sure to come back and update this post, unlike the rest of the posts I’ve found in my google searches which have all turned into graveyards