Technics SX-PR804 midi input to Dorico 3.5 Pro

It seems that the problem here is the Technics’ built-in MIDI to USB adaptor, and its driver. I think your best option would be to buy a cheap MIDI to USB adaptor so that you can plug that into the MIDI output of the Technics instead, eg Tie Studio Midi 1i1o USB MIDI Interface at Gear4music

Dear Paul,

Thank you very much indeed for your suggestion – I will try this first and report back.

Jane

Dear All,

I purchased a midi-usb adaptor.

After connecting the cable, turned on computer – no issues.

USB Midi now appears on Device Manager under “Sound, video and game controllers”

with an up to date driver working correctly.

Switched on Technics SX-PR804, horrendous howling shriek from the speakers and error message “error in cpu data transmission”.

This error message isn’t in the Technics manual, so I looked online.

The advice seemed to be power off and back on….

Another horrendous howling shriek then the keyboard appeared to be working normally.

Started Dorico and went to “preferences” looking for midi.

For the first time, Technics AISO USB Driver Control Panel appeared.

However the options are greyed out…?

On Dorico play screen, I selected “USB Midi”.

But on pressing a note on the keyboard, no green light in the bottom right hand corner.

Please see attached file of screen images.

Do you have any suggestions please?

Best regards,

Jane

Midi to USB cable.zip (140 KB)

Try swapping the “in” and “out” cables. Quite often the plug marked “in” needs to be inserted into the socket labelled “out”. The plug labelled “out” is irrelevant for playing notes into Dorico, but may be inserted into the socket labelled “in”.

1 Like

Good heavens! No howling shriek, a green light on Dorico and … notes have appeared at last!
However there was no Dorico “metronome beat” sounding to help me with the input whilst I recorded. Is there a setting I should now “turn on”?

Thrilled to bits!
Jane

1 Like

Just read through all of this, and I feel a round of applause is due

1 Like

:smiley::partying_face::clap:
I throughly agree

Just the metronome to raise from the depths now! Any ideas please?

For audio playback like system sounds or music, do you use an external audio interface or the internal speakers of your computer? In any case, the device you want to use for playback (and metronome) in Dorico must be selected under Preferences → Play → Audio Device Setup… What is your entry here? It could be that you have to install an ASIO driver for your device. If you use the internal sound card from your computer than this one should work: https://www.asio4all.org

Hi Bob,

Prior to connecting the midi – usb cable, I was creating projects using mouse-note input.

As far as I can remember, the sound was coming from the in-built Technics speakers.

Right now, the sounds from Dorico have completely disappeared with the midi – usb

cable connected and Technics turned on.

(I have tested my old composition software “Personal Composer” – the sound here

is now coming from my computer speakers; when I had my Technics turned on, the sound

used to come from its in-built speakers).

I’ve downloaded ASIO4ALL as you suggested – please see the attached file of screen prints

for actions taken. Hey presto – Dorico playback works AND I can hear the helpful metronome!

:wink:

I’m so grateful for everyone’s help here. I’m a Musician, not a technical wizard and

would never have thought of all the steps necessary to get my Technics working with Dorico

for note input. I can’t accompany my students in face-to-face exams since these have been

suspended for the time being under the pandemic rules, thus I need to create xxx accompaniment

tracks for their practice & remote exams. Using mouse-only input was going to take me a very long time!

As a final step I have checked Device Manager, the USB driver is still set to a default Microsoft

driver. Should I try to update this driver or leave well alone?

Midi to USB cable.zip (387 KB)

Here you should choose the Asio4all-driver, it gives you better latency, which is important when you want to use the integrated sounds from Dorico or other vst-instruments for real-time recording. You can also use your technics piano for playing back your piano score. You have to add a midi instrument and choose your midi device as a destination. To get a better understanding I would suggest to start with this section from the manual:
https://steinberg.help/dorico/v1/en/dorico/topics/play_mode/play_mode_vst_midi_instruments_panel_r.html

1 Like