Techno Rumble - Cubase routing?

Hey guys,

I would like to try to follow this tutorial on making Techno rumble but not sure how to achieve the routing with Cubase as the tutorial is made with Ableton Live.

From 1:18 to 4:37, Oscar, the guy how made the video explains the routing in Live. Basically he opens a midi track with the kick which will be the Dry signal, then he opens an audio track which will be the Wet signal, set the kick track as input, select Post fx and set the monitoring to In.

Can’t figure how to do that in Cubase with an Audio track? Or would this setup be the same as having my kick on an Instrument track then adding FX channels to selected channel (Kick) ? Then how to make it Mono as @2:36 ?

Would someone be so kind to enlighten me ?? Thanks for any assistance :pray:

You do the routing just like you do with parallel compression. but instead of going into the dry channel, you route to an audio channel or group bus. I had taken an audio channel which then goes to a drum bus for extra control at the end of the mix when you have to do the last thing, easier for me to have 4.8 buses separately for a lot of channels when you have to glue everything together etc.

Had done a mixdown before I had started mixing to free up cpu power…

Its the same as ableton but routing is different, and the stock plugin in cubase is way better :slight_smile:

I am not used to parallel compresion although I know the principle. Can you show me in more details how you did this routing exactly? Thanks

In this example an Instrument track “Kick” uses a Send to an Effects Track “Parallel”. Both tracks are routed to the Group track “Combine Group”.

The Send is set to pre-fader (blue marking).
Any effects you wanna use for the rumble chain load as inserts on the Effects track.

Parallel processing (be it compression or anything else) means to send a copy of the signal to another channel (in Cubase this can be either an Effect track or a Group track) and process that copy. Then the original signal and the copy get back mixed together (in a Group track). Often the signal from the parallel channel is lowered in volume as only nuances ought to be audible.

2 Likes

Awesome!
I always have hardtime switching the routing philosophy from Cubase to Reaper and vice versa :slight_smile:
Thanks for this detailed explanation

In the video, Oscar also says that one crutial step to achive the thing is to make this mono. In Ableton he uses this operator called Utility to get it to mono.

As the mono switch is applied in the Rumble chain (Wet signal), I am not sure, is this the same as switching the stereo button to mono in Control Room ??
I don’t think so… Would it be a plugin to insert in the chain?

You can use the Stereo Combined Panner on the FX channel and center them and the whole channel will in effect be mono.

1 Like

Like that ?

Did not even knew this… Thanks

But that’s a trick, right? Would the desired effect be the same in any circumstances?
Is there, by any chance, a Mono button somewhere in order to achieve that as well ?

Yes, like that.
There is no “Mono Button”. Panning both the right and left sides center produces identical signals in both channels and is a perfectly valid way of turning the output of a stereo channel into mono.

1 Like

It’s not a trick. It is what the mono button in Live does. If you need a mono button, look at the plugin
Stereo Enhancer.
grafik

1 Like

Well, thanks then, I will use that trick!

Is it doing the same as using the Stereo Combined Panner ? Just switching the Stereo Enhancer button to Mono? May be it is a bit more visual into the chain

Almost. The difference is in the volume. If you use the Stereo Combined Panner and set both to Center the power of both channels will be pushed to the center, making it louder than using the mono button of the plugin (and I presume the mono button of the utility plugin in Live). It’s a difference of 3dB.

Indeed, I had noticed in the manual that making it mono increases the volume of the signal.
Thanks, that trick works as well!

I am probably missing something, but… how can I hear the wet signal only??

When I solo the Wet signal, all tracks become solo.
I assume that this is due to the fact that I send the Dry signal (the Kick track) to the Wet signal (the FX track). So if I solo the Wet signal I still have the Dry signal too and if I mute the Dry signal I can’t hear nothing.

Does that mean that they are in fact not really in parallel but in serie insteed?

Should I go for another way to achieve that? I would like to hear the Rumble alone

EDIT:
Ok, now I have seen this “Listen” button in the MixConsole that I feel I have never seen it before (am I new here? :sweat_smile:) It seems to do the same as the solo button… Cubase, why do you torment me so much. I am confused now

The Listen bus is only available in Cubase Pro and Nuendo if you use the Control Room. In fact it is one of CR’s best features. And yes, that is the best solution.

I second that the Listen button is the easiest way to monitor FX returns. If your send is pre fader, which I would recommend in this scenario, you can lower the volume fader on the source channel and still hear the FX channel.

1 Like

Yes I agree, its probably the best feature, but this is too bad that this option is only available to Pro users or that there is no alternative such as in Ableton or Reaper

Yes I noticed that you could lower the source channel and hear the wet signal although it might be not the most convenient way.

I was wondering how could I activate that Listen button quicker in the Project view insteed of opening the MixConsole so I have noticed that you can add the Listen button to the instrument track in the setup but curiously there is nothing for Group/FX/VCA track ??

We have asked for a mono button on the track for a looooong time now. and just a render button on the trak to mono. :slight_smile: