Tempo detection

Hi,
Is it possible to choose the interval where will tempo detection be done?

Tempo detection is much more easy and fast in Cubase 6, but with certain kind of music (for instance classical) it’s almost impossible with some parts. So is it possible to select a range that will be treated with it?

Cheers,
Edmond

Unfortunately not.

It seems to be very much a “new” feature with plenty of room for improvement…would like to see “detect by region”, & options to set tabs per beat or per bar or even with multiple bars between them by setting the timesig first.

If they’re looking for feedback…I’d love to see it able to detect bar lines. That’s what I do when I use tap tempo–it gives an evenly subdivided count in between–which makes MIDI and whatnot work more evenly, IMO, as opposed to the beat by beat. When you do that, sure the count follows transients of kick/snare/kick/snare, right? But, if you lay a horn part from verse one to verse two, you’re changing the inner measure timing of the part just because the drummer rushed a snare or something.

I suppose you could manually cull out the events of 2,3,4…but, at that point, merge tempo from tapping+warp editing is just as quick. If they would let you define 4/4 and just register every fourth beat…that would be the best of both worlds.

I am loving the new tempo detection feature. I had to sing a bunch of backing vocal blocks today and then fly them in to place to fit a stereo backing track which I had imported.

Up until now, I would either figure out the tempo to tiny fractions of a BPM to get the music to fit the computer frame exactly, or spend time generating a tempo map, or place the vocal sections by ‘ear’.

Today, I ran tempo detection which took just a few seconds, then sang all the vocal blocks and they just ‘snapped’ right into each place. For me a great labour saver as I do this kind of task a lot.

A very useful addition to Cubase

P

I suppose you could manually cull out the events of 2,3,4…but, at that point, merge tempo from tapping+warp editing is just as quick. If they would let you define 4/4 and just register every fourth beat…that would be the best of both worlds.

I tried the culling technique & as well as taking forever it also seemed to mess up the map.

Today, I ran tempo detection which took just a few seconds, then sang all the vocal blocks and they just ‘snapped’ right into each place. For me a great labour saver as I do this kind of task a lot.

I’m a bit confused as to how they snap into any place…just tempo detecting doesn’t make newly recorded audio snap to anything??

Hi Grim,

I ran tempo detection and the tempo map appeared on a track, I think I switched it on (can’t remember the exact keystrokes) then a beat or bar line fell on every crotchet, when I moved my vocal blocks around they snapped to the nearest quantize value and all in perfect position. I’ll try and put up a screenshot.

P.

Hey Parrotspain, thanks for the explanation…I understand what you mean now…yes it will work perfectly for this…it’s just when you might want to start changing timings that the default isn’t that good.

Yes I can see some limitations, but for my purpose - fairly four-square music at unknown but fairly steady tempo it’s great.

Next I’ll try some live recordings and see how well Cubase can track them - should be pretty good with clean drums I hope.

Cheers
P

Yes, with a trick, you can! Just slice the bigger piece into smaller units depending on your preferred ranges, then tempo-detect each slice separately. Note that if the music slices are not moved after slicing, they will sound exactly like before. Hoe this helps :slight_smile:

cheers
SMing